NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Hey Moodytrout. Glad you found us. Where do you do most of your trout fishing in NC? I hope you'll post some fishing reports from up in western NC and some photos too! I want to get up that way one of these days and fish some streams. What is the best time of year to try it? Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey NC: I fish through out WNC's trout streams including some magnificent wild streams in the back country. The best time to visit is now through June. However NC has some real good year round fisheries. In fact one of my largest brown trout landed, was in December with snow falling in heaps.

I look forward to fishing with you and other members of this forum.

Tight Lines to all

·
Registered
205 Posts
try the tuck

ocm4 have you thought about fishing the tuckasseegee river? its about an hour west of asheville near sylva. it has a delayed harvest section that offers plenty of fish. it's a pretty wide river by wnc standards and even when it's crowded you still have plenty of room . if you want to take some stockers home to eat you can fish the hatchery supported section. there are about 20 miles to fish so finding a spot isn't hard some parts will be posted but as long as you don't walk on the banks, you can fish it. just enter the river at bridges or road side spots. there is also the chance to hang a monster.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Redfishtom is correct: the Tuckasegee is fishing real good, I was on the Tuck. with clients two day's last week and they had a ball. However you need to keep up with the generation schedule as the water can get to high to wade safely. The best way to fish the Tuck. is to float it.

http://www.nantahalapower.com/nantahala/lakes/schedules/

Also the Nantahala is doing real well too ( another two day's last week ) but they are generating all day so you want to hit the delayed harvest section above the power house were the water tends to remain stable for wading.
A lot closer to home for you is South Mountain State Park. The park has a delayed harvest section as well as wild waters and is fishing really good. The drive to SMSP from Charlotte is about an hour. Hope this helps.
tight lines
Clarence Moody ( moodytrout.com )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.