NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a BoatU.S. Member and got a notification about a proposed Renewable Volume Obligations (RVO) for 2015 and 2016 which will force a greater amount of E15 and higher ethanol blends to be pushed on to
the American public...thought?? I personally use only ethanol free fuel in my boat but this could be a real issue.

Reactions: Brenardo

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Need to pay attention at the pump. Some Sheetz stations have already started selling E-15 in NC. Voids your warranty on a lot of vehicles. Thank your midwest corn lobby, Barry O, global warming leftists and corporate toadies on the right in Congress for forcing something on the American public that hardly any average citizens wants and which costs us thousands in tax subsidies and repair bills every year. :mad:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
and when you say your car isn't compatible with e15 they just say, well be responsible to the environment and buy a new car!! (with what?? the TAX money you steal from me??)

Reactions: NCGMAN

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm seriously considering switching to Propane in my truck. The gas company delivers it to my house, it burns cleaner and is less expensive. Also Lehr is leading the way in developing propane outboards. They just released a 25hp and i hear talk that much larger is on the way. And best part off all, if I crash at least I will explode instantly into a thousand pieces rather than burn alive...

- James -

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've been watching those Lehr outboards myself. I knew a guy many years ago who had an inboard v-8 chevy he converted to propane and never had any issues. I drove a company van for awhile that was propane and it did a good job too. Many forklifts are propane and no some 18 wheelers especially in the Midwest run propane.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
There's an app for that! Pure Gas. Locates all the non ethanol locations in your area, including octane rating. Yes, you will pay more for your gas. No, you won't have ethanol related problems.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Grain based fuel is not the answer to our 'struggles'. Being in the feed mill industry I can tell you the subsidies for farmers growing ethanol corn are paid for by the consumer of any meat that comes from animals that have been fed corn.

Sent from my XT1080

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
My guess is that in the next few years non-ethanol fuel will no longer be available to the public period. They are phasing out the vehicles that suffer the most from it by decay. I bet boat manufacturers are working on designs for closed venting or controlled venting fuel systems right now as the moisture wicking aspect of ethanol is the biggest problem in boats because of the wet environment they exist in.. Once that happens and with new 4 stroke technology, there will be no "good" excuse for the EPA to allow non ethanol fuels for public use. Those of us with older boats will be expected to upgrade or give up.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
I think it's still available but at an even higher price. The classic car market is big business and those need non ethanol and lead additive. I only run premium non ethanol in mine...gratuitous photo of my baby..... Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Sky Grille

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I had a full size Chevy pickup in the 80's that ran on both gas and propane. Run one tank dry flip the switch and pat the gas.
Propane was great on the highway or just cruising. It lacked the power for alot of towing or a lot of hills.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My brother's rock crawler runs on propane. He converted it so he doesn't have to worry about the gasoline shifting to one side of the tank when he is in what he calls the "oh crap I just about flipped" position. In Australia propane is sold at the pump right along side diesel and "petrol."

- James -

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
We have a chevy 2500 with a flatbed that just came into the auction yard today. It has 2 onboard propane tanks for fuel. I might be bidding on that one myself!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just doing some quick research on the web and it looks like propane is more efficient, you get better mileage but a little less power.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Depends on what aspect you look at it.
I might have gotten a few more miles to the gallon with propane but the power difference was significant.
If you want to compare apples to apples take equal amounts of propane and gas and see where the dollar is best spent.

If you could run an engine on pond water it would be regulated, taxed, and be just as high or higher than the cost of gas is today.
There is no escaping the cost of fuel when it comes to a vehicle. The government will see to that no matter what it is.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I know there's no avoiding paying some government taxes/fees but anything within reason I can do to lessen them works for me. As far as power, how often does anyone really use the all of the power there vehicle can produce? Lets say you get 280hp out of a v8 truck on gas and only 220hp on propane. Lets just assume torque specs differ similarly as well. 220hp will get anything I am doing done just fine and if you use a dual fuel setup you can switch back to gasoline?diesel when you really need it. The real question is, is it worth the hassle of not being able to fill up just anywhere.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You could actually use a propane injection system in a diesel system that will give you upwards of 25% more hp and torque. It also makes a diesel engine burn cleaner by causing a higher fuel burn rate. It is injected into the air intake and requires very little modifications. However doing this might void warranties, but then again so does changing your own oil at home for that matter.

- James -

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I know there's no avoiding paying some government taxes/fees but anything within reason I can do to lessen them works for me. As far as power, how often does anyone really use the all of the power there vehicle can produce? Lets say you get 280hp out of a v8 truck on gas and only 220hp on propane. Lets just assume torque specs differ similarly as well. 220hp will get anything I am doing done just fine and if you use a dual fuel setup you can switch back to gasoline?diesel when you really need it. The real question is, is it worth the hassle of not being able to fill up just anywhere.
Lessen the cost ? Have you bought propane in the last year or so? I pay less than most in propane because I get a farm rate...and it's still high. If I have to pay for the cost of propane, I'd just soon as buy gas for the truck.
It's very hard to word what I'm trying to say without making it sound like a horse power thing.
But it's a known fact gas/diesel are king for a reason. There aint nothing else that that will produce energy pound for pound what those two will. Best bang for the buck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.