NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent posted in quite awhile, but I have been busy. I recently got a Peak vise and got into messing around with deer hair. As you can tell ive become addicted. These big flies are more then just some pretty orniments for a Christmas tree. Ive cause several bass on them, including this one 5-6ish pound bass, which is also my personal best bass on a fly rod. I have tried tying on saltwater hooks (see electric chicken), but havent had any luck in the salt...yet. Last night I tied a mini popper for bluegill. Hopefully that will work as well as the others.

Water Vertebrate Sunglasses Smile Green
Bird Eyelash Neck Plant Petal
Plant Liquid Fluid Insect Art
Purple Natural material Violet Feather Pink
Purple Eyelash Feather Eyewear Fishing lure
Bait Product Organism Feather Yellow
Eye Eyelash Feather Insect Grass
Feather Creative arts Wing Art Beak
Eye Eyelash Art Painting Feather
Pollinator Insect Nature Arthropod Organism
Eye Flower Arthropod Pollinator Plant
Eye Eyelash Whiskers Art Feather
Plant Pollinator Insect Arthropod Butterfly
Plant Insect Pollinator Arthropod Feather
Jaw Fluid Organism Fisherman Fish
Botany Insect Feather Organism Art

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crawfish one is kinda a collaboration of boredom, google images, and leftover materials.

Its a 2/0 streamer hook with dumbell eyes (and a little lead wire towards the eye of the hook to get it down deep fast). I use olive/brown barred rabbit strips for the claws, ostrich for the antenna area, and melted mono shrimp eyes...then I wrapped some a brown hackle feather like a wooly bugger for the legs on the bottom...trimed the top off. Then some olive deer hair from front to back, wrapped tight but only a few times to create the segmented body. Just a small peice of marabou for the tail. Once thats done I took CCG to make the deer hair solid and shiny like a shell. Since i ran out of hydro I used the new Loon UV clear to make the CCG not sticky lol. Thats about it. I havent even fished it yet and its the only time I even attempted to tie a crawfish pattern. Like I said, leftover materals laying on the tying desk and google images are a wonderful combo sometimes haha.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I havent posted in quite awhile, but I have been busy. I recently got a Peak vise and got into messing around with deer hair. As you can tell ive become addicted. These big flies are more then just some pretty orniments for a Christmas tree. Ive cause several bass on them, including this one 5-6ish pound bass, which is also my personal best bass on a fly rod. I have tried tying on saltwater hooks (see electric chicken), but havent had any luck in the salt...yet. Last night I tied a mini popper for bluegill. Hopefully that will work as well as the others.

View attachment 65893 View attachment 65907 View attachment 65906 View attachment 65905 View attachment 65904 View attachment 65903 View attachment 65902 View attachment 65901 View attachment 65900 View attachment 65899 View attachment 65898 View attachment 65897 View attachment 65896 View attachment 65895 View attachment 65894 View attachment 65908
Those flies are sick looking! For having only 3 months behind a vice those are beyond impressive! Stacking/spinning deer hair is something I'd love to get good at.... But is very intimidating to me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know you haven't been tying that long and I have said it before....however, I have serious respect for your ability. I gave spinning/stacking another go last night. While its not "difficult" it's also not "easy". My biggest issue is getting the hair "locked down" on the hook shank. The entire body seems to still spin on me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know you haven't been tying that long and I have said it before....however, I have serious respect for your ability. I gave spinning/stacking another go last night. While its not "difficult" it's also not "easy". My biggest issue is getting the hair "locked down" on the hook shank. The entire body seems to still spin on me. Any suggestions?
What thread are you using? Are you wrapping forward over the bare hook shank before you start stacking again?

I use Veevus GSP (gel spun) its basically bulletproof. You can really lock down the hair with it. The hook will break before the thread does. Put one thin layer of thread over the bare hook shank before you put more hair on it. This will give the hair something to grab onto so it wont spin all over the place. Also, after you do two "looser" wraps around the pile of deer hair, use your thumb and press in the middle of the pile before your third very tight wrap. This also prevents the hair from spinning. I do this on the first two layers of stacked hair. The rest of the layers I just place on with two tight wraps and it stays put because it settles into the pocket of the first two layers......

if any of that isnt confusing lol. I can probably make a short video if you want. I highly recommend Pat Cohen's DVD off his website if you want to get the info straight from the deer hair master himself.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What thread are you using? Are you wrapping forward over the bare hook shank before you start stacking again?

I use Veevus GSP (gel spun) its basically bulletproof. You can really lock down the hair with it. The hook will break before the thread does. Put one thin layer of thread over the bare hook shank before you put more hair on it. This will give the hair something to grab onto so it wont spin all over the place. Also, after you do two "looser" wraps around the pile of deer hair, use your thumb and press in the middle of the pile before your third very tight wrap. This also prevents the hair from spinning. I do this on the first two layers of stacked hair. The rest of the layers I just place on with two tight wraps and it stays put because it settles into the pocket of the first two layers......

if any of that isnt confusing lol. I can probably make a short video if you want. I highly recommend Pat Cohen's DVD off his website if you want to get the info straight from the deer hair master himself.
I am using Orvis brand GSP and Ultra Kevlar thread. I'm not sure if its the way I am cinching down the thread, but when I am really applying torque to the thread, I can hear the threads starting to break. I feel like I get the most torque when I am holding the bobbing at a right angle while pulling down and applying pressure to lock everything in. Last night I started roughing up the hook shank a bit with a file. That seemed to help some. How much hair are you using at one time? I am generally using between one and two pencils diameters worth of hair at a time. I have a spinning/stackikng video from Chris Helm(the godfather) of spinning/stacking. He is using between 3-4 pencil diameters of hair each time he adds new hair to the hook shank. I did manage to produce one "fishable" diver last night. But I wouldn't call it "pretty"

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It takes time man. I wont even mention how many times Ive had to burn everything off and start over. It took a few months to get to a fishable level.

I use quite a bit of hair on each level. I actually use twice the amount I use on every level...on level 1. I double it up on the bottom for a more solid bottom. I think I use probably 3 pencil diameters on each level. Alot of it has to do with the quality of deer hair too. Ive used the bass pro deer hair and its terrible for this. I have also used deer hair from Orvis and its slightly better than BPS but not great. I get mine from Pat. Im not sure where he gets his from, but its the best Ive used....just wish they had more colors.

I am to the point now where I pack them so tight I cant hardly use scissors to trim them. I use 99% razor and 1% sandpaper. Really solid stuff. Makes a huge racket on the water too...cant wait for it to warm up about 10 more degrees.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.