NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the road at 5:30 on Friday to head to the coast and give the new old boat an inaugural dip in the brine with my brother in from California. Goal was to catch some spanish and try to catch my first king. Wind was blowing from the south and when we got to the inlet it was SNOTTY! Made a couple of passes for spanish with planers and clark spoons but no takers. Trolled up the beach toward lookout pulling drones on the planers and yo-zuris with trolling weights. Still nothing. Managed a few blues at the hook while we watched another boat catch a few kings. Decided to end the day with a tooth-jarring run on the outside back to the inlet just to add that "final touch" to the day.

Woke up early on Saturday stoked by the weatherman's forecast of "light and variable". He got the variable part right, just not the light! Still a pretty good swell as we headed out again. Did a fair amount of damage to the spaniards in the inlet until about 9:00 when they switched off. HUGE schools of pogies all over the inlet. Thinking that with all the menhaden around there were bound to be a few kings, we decided to try our luck with them again. Guess thats what I get for thinking......no kings but the blues were jumping on everything we pulled. All in all a good time and were able to christen the boat in fish slime.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I sure didn't. Building a livewell for the boat is on my long "to do" list. Sure wish I had gotten to it sooner.

On that note, any recommendations on trollings speeds for kings? Speeds for live bait trolling or spoons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Next time you're down stop by Chasin Tails or Freemans and pick up a 3 or 5 lb bag of cigar minnnows. Slow troll them somewhere around 2mph. We use a 1 oz jig head (Hank Brown or King Jig) and a 4x triple hook as a stinger.

Good luck.

Rx Money

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip! Do you troll the jig/cigar minnow on a flatline or behind a planer/trolling weight? Also, do you need to "prep" gigar minnow like a ballyhoo (remove the eyes, guts, etc)?

·
Registered
183 Posts
RedMenace,

For cigar minnows - if they're not already in my freezer I go by the bait shop Friday afternoon and then throw them in a bucket of water (still in the bag) to thaw. I use an old Coke bottle tray that I cover w/ aluminum foil, punch holes in the foil, and then lay out the minnows belly up. I then cover them with a heavy coating of Bionic Brine. I know others mix their own brine w/ kosher salt and such but this stuff has worked great for me. That is all I do. I then fill the cooler w/ ice and sit the tray on top. This keeps the baits out of the water and cool all day. I do the same w/ ballyhoo and have actually vacuum sealed baits up Sunday afternoon and used them again the following weekend.

BTW – the King Jig Rig is hanging on the cooler. Run the jig hook up fr/ the lower lip thr/ the top lip, put the stinger in the tail or back or let it hang free.

Good luck and give us a shout next time you're down.

Rx Money

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Forgot your other question - sorry.

I troll three or four behind the boat on the surface depending on the wind and the seas. I use a 12lb downrigger ball on a hand line and attach the line w/ a rubberband and a doublesnap swivel. This way I can fight the king w/o having a planer on the line. I've never tried planers for slow trolling only used them for spanish going about 6mph. Good luck.

Rx Money

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.