NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down to the morehead city area this weekend and I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to saltwater but I'm learning. Got a gheenoe with a motor so me and my son can get to the haystack area where we had a little luck and caught a speckled once. I think I've got all of the right tackle(popping corks, mr17's, gulp shrimp jigs, spoons, maxed out credit card...etc) and will also get some mud minnows or try and get something in a cast net.

I guess my question is this- I've heard that recent rains sometimes slows the bite down but I am assuming that is more for the creeks and doesn't apply as much for the bigger waters? I've also thought of putting in there near the bridge at swansboro and trying around there too. I know we'll have to keep a good eye on the weather and boat traffic since we're in a small boat but I think we could also very carefully fish the port area also.

We're on a mission to catch as many species of fish as we can and would love to get our first drum or Spanish makerel or some more trout or flounder and would appreciate any advice on where to try this time of year there.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I wouldn't attempt to catch a Spanish in the gheenoe. You're looking at being outside of the inlet for that and that is no place. There are some nice trout and reds around though. Stick to the haystacks and Newport River. Concentrate on points and creek mouths with the baits you mentioned and add in a super spook jr. Don't worry about the rain, that really doesn't mess with the fish in the tidal areas like it does those in the Neuse or Pamlico.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought the Spanish came in further some but I guess only occasionally. Try and stay in the areas with a strong current, right? And rising tide is usually best? I can see getting back into where the oyster point campground is but will that still willow me to get all the way back to the ramp at radio island on a low tide. Don't wanna get stuck anywhere.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
They'll move inside some but nowhere I would feel comfortable in a gheenoe. Rising tide or falling so long as it isn't slack. Oyster point to Radio Island ramp is doable at low tide so long as you are familiar with the water. I assume you don't draft very much in that gheenoe. I run it at dead low in my Intruder so I am sure you can make it in that. Just be careful, there are a lot of submerged oyster rocks and other stuff to mess up a lower unit out there if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
We are down this weekend also. Besides fishing the inside you might consider taking a ferry from Beaufort to the inlet or Harker's to the Hook. Fish from the beach for spanish, ALBIES!!!!!, or whatever. We are planning to take a ferry to the Cape tomorrow and I'll post here if it's worth doing:cool:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Took the ferry over to fish the spit at Cape Lookout and it was dead. How dead was it?

We were glad to catch lizard fish:eek:

The cold front should get things going again but this weekend doesn't look good for spanish or albies. The ferry captain said that a couple of weeks ago the spanish were very thick in Beaufort inlet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I got out of the haystacks today was a sunburn and a lizard fish. I tried popping corks with live shrimp and gulp, a mr17, and finger mullet on the bottom with no luck. Caught a decent sized blue by the bridge before taking out. Might try on the beach at radio island tonight but I don't know the hours or if it even closes. Not sure what to try tomorrow. Maybe down closer to swansboro.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went out Sunday in the windy weather and made it out to the dead tree out south of swansboro. Got one lizard fish on and as I pulled it up another was chomping on its tail. Caught my first flounder , maybe 10" and then also caught my first seahorse. Never heard of that?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.