NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some photos of exploring the MHC area with some fishing firsts for us.

Fresh puppies and sweet tea @ Southern Salt. Awesome fried shrimp.
Food Tableware Table Ingredient Recipe

Fort Macon on Friday morning. Hooked up a few times near the jetty casting a 3/4 oz spanish candy, but both times the fish (looked like a small permit) threw the hook near the rocks.
Cloud Rainbow Sky Daytime Ecoregion

Got 3 dozen fiddlers and advice from ChasinTails, which is a great tackle shop. Headed out on the Towee on a sheepshead mission. At first we were casting to docks and having trouble feeling the bite... I finally started holding the boat against structure so that Harrison could fish vertically and it was on... Harrison caught ~8-9 sheepshead. You can go through fiddlers fast, but it is fun.

Water Boat Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Outdoor recreation

We also caught this fish which we could not ID.
Finger Fish Fin Ray-finned fish Marine biology

Also caught two puffers. Harrison was thrilled that it puffed up.
Water Boat Watercraft Vertebrate Vehicle

We were also trying fresh shrimp on a carolina rig and caught pinfish and lizard fish... This is the biggest lizard fish we've ever seen (caught on fishbites bloodworm just being reeled back to the boat to recast).
Water Fish Fisherman Boat Recreation

Folks cast netting near the docks were catching these baitfish... we were amazed by the perfection of the silver stripe.
Finger Fish Seafood Fin Thumb

We hit the NC aquarium Friday afternoon. Saw the big tank broadcast feeding and the targeted shark feeding, which is awesome. There are some big reds that are very bold and directly pester the sandbar sharks for their food. If you have kids, take them there. Is the unidentified fish a slippery dick?
Vertebrate Fin Fish Marine biology Electric blue

Loretta's pizza is really good.
Food Pizza Tableware Ingredient Recipe

Fished the oceanana pier Friday night. Had fun catching bluefish using gotcha plugs, a first for us, and I also caught a small trout (maybe a gray?) using the gotcha plug.

Saturday morning fished a Neuse creek. Bite was slow at first, lots of short strikes. Caught a couple of trout slow trolling a white x-rap. Around 11am, a couple of nice guys in a skiff invited us to share their location near the creek mouth, and we proceeded to have fun catching 14" specks for the next hour. It was a beautiful morning and lots of bald eagle activity. Harrison caught and released this nice flounder.

Water Blue Outdoor recreation Shorts Fish

Tight lines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s a good trip there. Love the Towee adventures!
Towee is proving to be a very good boat for exploring the state. Nice that it is easy to tow and park. The other day, I read your post about a Conaby Creek trip from a few years ago... defnitely on my list to get to with the Towee.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Towee is proving to be a very good boat for exploring the state. Nice that it is easy to tow and park. The other day, I read your post about a Conaby Creek trip from a few years ago... defnitely on my list to get to with the Towee.
Yes that would be a perfect boat for that area. A lot of good creeks and fishing up there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts