NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be fortunate to go on a half day trip to the lagoon. Has anyone here ever fished it? Any tips for me. It will probably be a guided trip but should I ask to fish for a certain species or certain place? Any advice is appreciated would like to make it a memorable trip even tho a short one. One of those nice 10 pound trout that we dont see in NC would be awesome :)

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That video got me pumped up lol

The Goon Squad - Mosquito Lagoon Trout & Redfish: http://youtu.be/EqeC6Lp7K1s

Here's a great episode of Addictive Fishing with Captain Blair in Mosquito Lagoon. He's got quite a few episodes in Mosquito Lagoon so check out his channel and he'll show you how to catch them.

Reactions: Brenardo

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, that show will do that to most people who love to fish. I wish I could offer more insight but I've only fished around the Ponce de Leon inlet down there and I had no clue what I was doing. Take pics and let us know how it goes. Tight Lines.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
In my experience the smaller redfish will take artificials, large zoom paddle tail flukes on a weighted hook, but the larger fish are mostly taken with bait. Always exceptions. Trout will readily take artificials, but can be spooky, caught more on soft plastics than hard baits. 5 - 6 lb trout are plentiful, would not plan on a 10 lber, few and far between.

Reactions: Island Man

·
Red X Angler
1,137 Posts
Island Man.....Just saw this thread and I would suggest that you check out the Orlando Kayak Fishing group:

To participate just look for https://www.facebook.com/groups/OKFC1/ and ask to join.

They are very close to IR/ML and there is a TON of info on their site....oops!! Their Forum has now gone totally onto Facebook, so that link will get you in there. The only guide who I know down that way is Capt. Tom Van Horn at www.irl-fishing.com and 407-416-1187....altho I do not know him personally except for referring people to him occasionally.

I will check our JKF website to see if I can find other guides for you....unless you already have someone...??
If I had a guide for 1/2 day, I would tell them WHAT you want to fish for, and let them take you to the fish!!
The IR/ML targets to me are Snook, huge bull red drum/redfish, and world class "gator" trout.....and maybe you can get 2/3 or ALL of that Slam!!
Good Luck....JohnYaksJax

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not looking real good, front moving in cold air and rain forecast for my fishing day but I will beat all odds and catch fish :)

Please let us know how the trip goes I may want to try it after watching the video.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drum 1 per day (zone I was in others are 2 per day) 18-27 inches
Trout 4 per day (zone I was in others are 5-6 per day) 15-20 inches 1 over 20 inches, not sure why the over slot restriction.

Nice catching. How many Reds & Trout can 1 person keep? .......ICM

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Several states have the over slot restriction, but it's larger than 20 inches. Would love to see NC go to one. 6 fish at 16 inches with only 1 being over 25 would be my proposal.
Now stop it, you are being reasonable here, you know that acting like that has no place in managing our resources.

Reactions: trigger22
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.