NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a Tohatsu 20 HP and have gotten mixed information on how to break it in. The Tohatsu website and talking to actually a couple of their reps on the phone indicates there is a detailed way to break in the motor down to the point of what the tacometer reading should be at a certain hour of the break in.

Then, I am told by the dealer that Johnson used to do that but now recommend that you just run the motor as you would just dont go straight to warp one off the dock. And, to do the same with the Tohatsu.

I just want to make sure that if there is some problem with the motor no one starts chanting you didnt break it in right it is your problem.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
go by what the manufacture says. there will be a card attached to the motor telling you how to break it in properly.

The tach reading isn't that important but follow where the throttle position is... http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/break_in.html

8-20 hp (4-Str)
1-10 min
10 min-2 hrs
2-3 hrs
3-10 hrs
After 10 hrs
Throttle Position
Idle
Less than 1/2 throttle
Less than 3/4 throttle
3/4 throttle
Full throttle available
Speed
Approx. 3000 rpm max
Full throttle run allowed for 1 min every 10 min
Approx. 4000 rpm.
Full throttle run allowed for 2 min every 10 min

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep Catfish....I saw that too. (but thanks for posting)

My plan is to follow it pretty well. Since I have no idea what the throttle position to the rpm may be, most will be playing by ear and watching both. I am planning a full day of nothing but running it and will fish later.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Break it in per the manufacturers procedure. They built it, tested it and hopefully stand behind it. Evinrude says no break in but from what I here they break later.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've looked into this with two and four stroke motors over the years. The consensus I've found is get it up to temp, make sure everything looks and sounds right, run the heck out of it. Of course this is all Internet reading and no first hand experience. I still do not understand why any manufacturer sells an engine that's not already broken in. Yes it saves them money. But. How many people do they actually think will to it to their exact specs?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've looked into this with two and four stroke motors over the years. The consensus I've found is get it up to temp, make sure everything looks and sounds right, run the heck out of it. Of course this is all Internet reading and no first hand experience. I still do not understand why any manufacturer sells an engine that's not already broken in. Yes it saves them money. But. How many people do they actually think will to it to their exact specs?

Well, I go back to the days that when you bought a new car you NEVER went over 50 to 55 mph about the first 500 miles.

The dealer used the term "get things seated".....not sure what seated means other than just get all moving parts used to moving!
As to how many people actually follow specs on a new motor is unknown to me. I just know I have a tendancy to over research and make thing more complicated sometimes.....but I just dont want to hear ...." you didnt break in this $3000 plus motor correctly so the problem you now have isnt covered." That's my kind of luck!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When I worked in aviation, specifically in general avaition; breaking a Continental or Lycoming in was a science project. We used the term "get it seated" referring more specifically to the valves and pistion rings. Hopefully the bearings are already seated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts