NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. I am hoping some of you seasoned hands on fellows with engine experience (like Sundrop) could offer some advice. I know there was another user with a question about restoring an older unit that Sundrop addressed just today.

I have two motors that I haven't tried to start in about 10 to 12 years. One is a 3.3hp Johnson and the other is a 9.9 Force, both manual start. I think the Johnson is a 1991 model and the Force is an 88. I would appreciate anyones thoughts or suggestions about how to properly bring these back to life. Both are low hours and I think I drained the fuel on last use though not 100 percent sure. What precautions or Ideas do you have you for me. I looked in the Johnson fuel tank and its very clean.

Thanks...Jim

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Tadpole,
The first thing I would do is shoot a little oil and gas mix or wd40 into the cylinders via the spark plug hole. Next I would do a compression test and see if I'm getting any pressure in the cylinder. Should be 90+ PSI. Then if I am, I would test to see if it is making spark when I spin it over.
Next you need to remove and clean the carbs. I have done this without buying a rebuild kit and gotten away with it but not often.
Now you have pressure,fuel and spark so it should at least halfway run.
I don't know how mechanical you are and there are little details to address like making sure you have the air/fuel mix set right on the carbs etc. Both of these are 1 cylinder engines so they are basically a lawnmower/chainsaw type design.
Count on replacing the water pumps due to age but dont bother until you know they will run at least roughly. Trick is to get them sort of running without spending alot of cash so you know if they are worth fixing.
I'll offer any help I can from 2.5 hrs away..LOL

Reactions: tadpole1

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom that would be great if I could borrow it. I'm going to the meet, eat and greet today if you can bring it. I could return it to you at the regular meeting.

Thanks....Jim

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Tadpole1 i rebuilt my outboard myself. its a 1989 175 johnson 6 cylinder, so I can help with any questions you have. Also, there is a website called iboats that has a good repair forum. but alot of those guys are jerks and they always tell you to get a repair manual, even when the first thing you say is 'I HAVE A MANUAL". If the motors were kept indoors, and ran before, gaskets should be fine. Next, new plugs. Don't be cheap, get new ones. DON'T USE STARTING FLUID!!!! You will grenade the engine. You can look inside the cylinders or put a screwdriver in the plug hole and SLOWLY turn the engine to make sure your rods are still good. New plugs, fresh gas, make sure its fresh, use either muffs or a test tank, and give it a go. If you get it to run, then you can check compression, without it running. If it starts up quick, you most likely have good compression. It should smoke, like a whitish blue. Thats what you want. If you go by this, you should get it runin for under 15 bux. Any questions, just ask. Iwill help as much as I can. I know how it feels to be stuck. Later.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you dragula65000, Sundrop and Backlash, I got the 3.5 Johnson running yesterday, by shooting wd40 in the spark plug hole and slowely pulling the cord a few times, then it cranked on about the 8th pull and there was plenty of smoke. I plan on changing the gear oil or whatever its called tomorrow and finally trying it in the lake. Bcklash loaned me a manual that will be helpful. As for the 9.9 Force, I haven't tried it yet but will soon. I know it had a broken start rope.

Thanks....Jim

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Starter ropes are a pain, but not too bad. a good site is OMC Parts, Mercruiser Stern Drive & Outdrive, Evinrude, Mercury, Johnson. Sometimes its a pain gettin in the site, mainly because my computer is dumb, but it has a breakdown of the engine. Check it out. They also have STOCK part numbers, so you can use that number to cross reference other manufacturers part numbers. Sometimes, it also shows you how to put it back together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.