NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 Johnson 50hp 2 stroke and was on the water with it today when going full speed which is about 30 mph for me. Made a turn and the motor slowed to a stop and cut off. It wouldn't even attempt to turn over for the first five minutes of me foolish around and then it started right up. Only problem now is that when I put the throttle down the boat doesn't go any faster probably 8 mph. It's running 3300 rpm but there's no speed and it is terrible. I'm really hoping I haven't done anything too serious that's going to hurt the motor or my wallet. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
You lost a cylinder. As in one is firing and one is not. Maybe you unseated a plug wire? Check all your connections to make sure your fiddling did not unseat anything.

You will need to determine which cyklinder. Easiest thing is to pull a plug wire one at a time. With one the motor will run with the other it will do nothing. You can start swapping parts like plugs, then coil packs and even change the wiring on the power pack to swap the output and run cyl 1 as 2 and 2 as 1.

Good Luck.....

mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the help. I've been looking at a few things on how to troubleshoot and fix problems that cause this but since I'm not the handiest and have an ultra busy work schedule, should I just take it to the mechanic to save time and trouble? If so, how much do tou think it should run me?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Could be you fouled the high speed jet in the carb. I would check for any junk in the bowl and spray with carb cleaner. Might have to physically clean the jet or bring it to someone with an ultrasonic cleaner. If it is idling and running at low speeds fairly well, might be worth looking at the carb. If you lost a cylinder or coil believe it would be running rough all the time.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Check compression on all cylinders, if it's good check spark, as stated, may have lost a coil. If you have spark and compression now you look into fuel issues like a blocked carb. I'd say if you are getting over 3k rpm it isn't a fuel issue likely. Be sure to check you fuel filter too. Sounds like one cylinder not firing. If it is fuel it is possibly a weak fuel pump and squeezing the bulb while at throttle will make the engine catch up.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I just fixed my motor. Similar problem. I believe the root of the problem was a bad plug. It would run fine then after getting good and hot would fail. Killed 3 coils before I decided to change the plugs. If you do not know the age of your plugs you should replace them anyway while your doing this repair. $5. Might even be a quick fix.

mike

·
Banned
2,563 Posts
Totally unrelated. But I was fighting to figure out the "fuel" issue with my Yamaha.

Replaced all fuel lines, and I mean all.
Cleaned VST
Sync and Link
Cleaned throttle bodies
Drained gas, New gas

Finally, one day before family vacation last week I fixed it on a tip from a buddy.

All it was, was a fouled plug.

I hope that is what your issue is as well.

Sent from my XT1080

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.