NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been fishing at the duke power mountain island lake dam(the tailrace fishing area)? I went there yesterday and caught an 10.5 inch shell cracker but did spot what looked like a 2ft channel cat. ..any suggestions as far as bait to use @ this location? thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to fish there quite often from a boat. I fished for the big gills and crackers with worms, small spinners and crank baits. I used large minnows and live 2-4 inch gills for catfish and stripers. Cats went to 20 pounds and stripers were small.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Have fished the dam for 15 yrs. last ten from a kayak. Consistency is not it`s strong suit. Seems to be feast or starve. When the shad are running (i`ve caught them in a cup they get so thick) the bass, stripers,perch,and cats are usually ther too.Usually a good ,short morning bite. MOSTLY ON THE FAR SIDE.If you can`t bang the rocks on the other side you normally won`t catch the topwater fish. When the perch are in there they catch em 2 at a time on shad bellies and it gets to be a real circus. I`m content to just watch that and I would be happy if they would catch EVERY perch in wylie.You really want to know what`s going on ask the "old timers" they`re up there pretty much every day and are all real nice. Or go down to hwy 27 boat launch and ask Bobby. If you should happen to be there in a boat ,hug the far bank and show some respect. People up there will definitely wing a 2oz weight at you to show their displeasure. Hasn`t happened to me but it does happen and the po-po have been called on more than one occasion. You see some yakkers say hey. It`s probably Hardcore kayak fishing team.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hwy 27 boat launch, must be the place that the older man owns. next to the bridge. Lately it's been slow but i'm working on a way to get bait to the other side or a far way past the buoys .. as far as the dam, I've recently seen some big fish crusing near the rocks near the pier but no bite. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
The old man is Bobby. He actually leases the landing and the drought has really put a hurt on him this year. The landing has been closed for a long time except to us in the yaks. He is super cool and always asks which way we`re going because everybody who`s never had their butt in kayak thinks it`s dangerous.If you can slide him a extra buck in the box. Lot of people go there at night and don`t pay. Forgot to mention we were told they have been catching shellcrackers at the mouth of Dutchmans. Follow the bank upstream if you don`t know where. You can fish at the park for free but I don`t know about how good that is to fish. We`ve kayaked WAY up past the park. White bass used to be all over in the spring there but that hasn`t happened in probably 5 years since the white perch wiped them out.
I have paddled from the dam to wilkinson blvd.
You can fish on the bank near the "poo poo" plant. On the other side of hwy 27, same side of the river as Bobby`s. Never driven there but people are always there. Pipe runs into the river and we`ve had pretty good luck there. Except for the smell!

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ohh thanks for the info, didn't know there was a park.. yeah, i've been boing to bobby's place for 8 months. now. Last good catch of shell cracker there was of 20 (+1 that we gave to the kitten there) but that was in nov. only fished 3hrs. but i'm planing to go back in march or once it warms up a bit. and yeah, he's a cool guy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Revisited and caught this LMB almost 19"long and weighed 2Lbs 14oz.
caught him shallow on a earthworm , he was probably feeding in shallow side. he almost pulled my reel in cuz i wasn't paying attention!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea I fish there every once in while but, I found a few other places that are more consistent. I catch plenty of bass and other stuff. My buddy caught a 6 lb channel at the dam, but thats the only really good thing we have caught there. I have caught 4-5 lb bass place where creeks meet the lake. I find these are the best places to fish. I typically use a tube or rapala shad or minnow. However, I have been making some crawdad flies and catch some bass on my fly-rod lately.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.