NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I helped buld both "rounds" of those attractors. They were done 2 different times but I picked the locations for the second set. The 1st locations werent very fisherman friendly. Great for fish but in the middle of nowhere and very difficult to find.
The ones I picked are---
1- south of Hwy 16 bridge from the Riverbend ramp. It`s basically in a hole. Shallower water all around. Look for the big dead laydown tree on the bank. facing the tree look right at 3 oclock and you can see a old metal post of some sort on the far back. Line up that way and you will pretty much be right on top of them. They run parallel with the bank in 18 ft.

2-In Nance cove going north between hwy 16 and Neck launches. there is a V in the cove and they are just out from there. Nice drop off and some good rocks in the area.

3- Leaving Neck rd launch going to the main channel they are on the right just before the main channel. there is a house with rip rap and a huge tree leaning but not in the water. They are just out from the tree and run parallel to the rip rap toward the main channel.

they are all around 18ft deep. This was required by the MIL Marine commission. I would have loved to put some more shallow. Also they would NOT let us mark the with a buoy like they are in some lakes.

Should also mention the ones I just described are different (better) attractors than the 1st generation sites. The original ones were Porcupine fish attractors. They are a round ball with the "limbs" going out in every direction. I think it is possible some of these they put in the main channel near garr creek moved and may have something to do with them being hard to find.
The 3 above are Honeyhole fish attractors. they are a big (about 3ft) plastic cone and they limbs are more like a real bush would be. Alos have openings so very small fish can actually go inside them. some of them are probably upright and some may have fallen over. The plastic cones are MUCH easier to pick up on a sonar than the porcupines.
Lemme know if you have any other questions------------stu

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Also check this thread - I converted all the WRC fish attractor coordinates to Lowrance-ready and Humminbird-ready format.

The Neck road attractors stu's talking about are at around 35 21.934N / 80 55.939W. I'm dying to get back and fish these!!!!

They look like this on the screen (shown heading toward the main lake, preparing to pass peninsula on right)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts