NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I've been to those lakes but never fished them.

The NCWRC stocks them with trout and there are very big trout in them.

I've heard there are walleye also.

If I ever get a boat, I'd love to go back and fish them.

About 10 years ago the WRC tried to establish threadfin shad in those lakes but they were too cold.

Bear's the biggest (over 400 acres) and can handle power boats including pontoons from what I saw.

I'd use little boats and motors on the other three. They're not quite that big with small boat ramps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live on Cedar Cliff and its loaded with small bass, some crappie and walley and very nice trout. It has a lot of boat traffic in the summer from skiers and jet skis. Bear is a good fishery with bass, walleye, crappie and trout. Wolfe is the hidden gem in the chain. The biggest largemouth and smallmouth are in wolfe, as well as very nice walleye. the problem with Wolfe is its deep and clear, and gets a lot of traffic from skiers.
Bear just received a face lift with new restrooms, paved double lane ramp and parking area and new fishing pier.
Your right about the need for forage. These lakes are forage poor and growth rates are very low. the last survey from the NCWRC had mature largemouth at 6-8 years old and generally 13" and less than 2 lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.