NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been really jealous of all the beautiful Speckled Trout being caught at the NC coast recently, so I had to do something about it….Mountain style...

One of my wife's friend came into town for a wedding this weekend. So we braved the cold weather and headed out to the Tuckaseegee for some wade trout fishing. Right from the get go, we managed to catch a few trout to keep :D below the delayed harvest section of the river where it is still legal to possess fish. Tonights dinner.

We then decided to play in the Delayed Harvest Catch and Release section of the Tuck. Made the switch to fly gear and single hook spinner/grub jigs. The jigs started working right away with Adam catching three really nice Brook trout back to back. I went to the next hole downstream and hooked up with two nice rainbow trout on fly-rod using a olive woolly bugger with one weight. We fished from 9:45am till about 2:00pm with most fish caught from noon till 2. (We only left so Adam could make it to the wedding on time.) It was well worth braving the cold to land some beautiful trout. As a group of three today we managed a grand slam and caught 5 trout over 16in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Wow, nice! I'm going to try and harass some trouts tomorrow. I've got 8 days off in a row so hopefully I'll get into some fish. Did you use a slower than normal presentation due to the cold temps or regular?

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wademaster,
We did notice that keeping the bait on the bottom or near the bottom seemed to produce better strikes. If you were reeling high the trout would follow but not strike. I think that's why the pearl white grub/jig was doing better that a in-line spinner. The scheduled flow for the Tuck is West fork only and it's doesn't make it down to Delayed Harvest waters until later in the afternoon. So the water was super low in the morning and was easy to wade, plus fish were pooled up better by the low water. Not sure if the cold hinders the trout fishing, maybe only lessons dry-flies takes. Good luck fishing your 8 days off, that sounds amazing!

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
GREAT day, wonderful pictures thanks for posting. Those trout have such great colors, and still finding fish in the HS waters good job.

I have been nursing a bum knee for a couple of months and have stayed away form the rocky banks but I may have to hit the clear water soon!! Thanks for sharing about the need to stay deep it is getting to be that time of year.

If you ever want to fish this side of the divide let me know.

Darrell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.