NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused::confused: I am moving goldsboro in about 2 months and need a few places to go besides lake wakena. I grew up there but did not do much fishing except at the coast. I have had great success in raleigh with people letting me fish in their neighborhoods and their own private ponds. Someone please help me!:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Not to far from Sheron Harris, Jordan Lake. You have the Neuse River at your back door and 25 miles from Kinston. Another 35 to New Bern or on to Atlantic Beach.

Local waters maybe someone will chime in and give you a heads up on a couple of spots.

Have you found the Neuse river and boat ramp area?? That would be a good start point to meet and greet people. Ask questions someone will answer. If not come on down to Kinston at the ramp and shad fish. These boys will talk, show you how, what lures and invite you into there world.

tight lines<*)))))>{

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi there,

I'll be back home in about 2 months from overseas so I might see you around then but until then here is where I fish. Not sure if your looking for more bank fishing or if you have a boat but here it goes.

On 117 towards the SW side of Goldsboro is Whitetale landing and that is one of the public boat launches into the Neuse. I know a few people that bank fish there and have caught a few cats from that location but not a lot of them. Then on the South East side of Goldsboro there is another public boat landing. If your on 117 heading south from 70 turn to head east on Arrington Bridge Rd. / 581 and continue on 581 and there will be an entrance to the landing right before the bridge goes over the neuse. Bank fishing is much better at that location especially if you pull down the gravel entrance and turn left to drive under the bridge. If you follow that back it will take you to a really nice bend in the river where I know people have caught decent fish there when the river is low, its a nice little whole. If you have a boat though, I woudn't recommend putting an aluminum boat if under 3 feet and a fiberglass boat if under 7 just my thoughts, the river around goldsboro has alot of sandbar type areas and fallen trees.

There is a pond called Durham Lake, really small but have put my 21 foot bass boat in it before. If you head south on 117 again and turn right onto 13 head a mile on 13 and turn left on Durham Lake Rd. Head a few miles down that and the pond is on your left. He charges $2 from bank and $4 or $5 cant remember to put your boat in, there have been some decent bass out of that pond and crappie. I think the deepest I've seen in that pond is about 7 feet.

Theres a few other places in Goldsboro but you need a canoe but I do fish this place a lot especially when the Neuse is low. Just let me know if you want more information cause its all on the Little River and kind of hidden to get to They are nice places to go to and never see anyone out there.

Next there are also a few other places up towards Wilson that are really good, Wiggins Mill and Buckhorn. Wiggins has some bank fishing and Buckhorn has no bank fishing. Buckhorn is $10 to launch a boat and Wiggins is $3, and Wiggins is a trolling motor only. These places are about 20- 30 minutes away.

And finally the next closest place to Goldsboro, is Tar River Resivoir just north of Wilson on I95, I probably do most my fishing there throughout the summer, about a 40 minute drive.

I really only Bass Fish so not sure about other species in these other locations, other than what I have heard or read.

Hope I helped and like I said just shoot me a message whenever and would be glad to help you out and see you around in a couple months.

BassAngler1

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wondering if most of the people are fishing out of the neuse or little rivers? Most of the research I have done has been big ole cats out of the neuse river. I am hoping there will be a decent amount of lakes to fish and I will also be closer to the beach!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
hey bassangler1, have you ever fished the Quaker neck lake? i believe its west of goldsboro. I saw it on the map, didn't know if it was open for fishing or what. thanks for posting up those other few places, they are all about an hour and a half from me which puts them right in the same distance as sharon harris and jordan...thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
For BigL2O, the Neuse is known for the cats that get pulled out of there. I have a guy that I work with that holds a cat fishing tournament every year on the river and they consitently come in with 20+ cats. Like I was mentioning there are certain areas on the neuse for bass fishing, if the river is high enough I'll take you out to some of the spots and hopefully catch some nice bass.

BassManMartin, to answer your question Quaker neck lake is on a power plant / factory. The lake is used for power/cooling i believe and the lake itself is only for people that either work at the plant or have retired from working at it.

BA1 ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
bigL20, is Lake Wakena a nice place to fish? I just looked at a aerial view of it at mapquest and it looks like a nice size lake. Is it a public lake? Can you put bass boats in there? I would like to check it out sometime if so.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lake Wakena is a private lake in a gated type community. Look up Walnut Creek Country Club and you will find everything there is to know about fishing the lake.. yes they do have a ramp and a bass boat would be fine in there, just private so i have never fished it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have some people I know that live in Walnut creek so I am going to contact them when I get to town. I have already talked to a friend of the family and have gotten permission to sleep the big lake at sleepy creek. I know there are some big fish in there so I am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi there,

I'll be back home in about 2 months from overseas so I might see you around then but until then here is where I fish. Not sure if your looking for more bank fishing or if you have a boat but here it goes.

On 117 towards the SW side of Goldsboro is Whitetale landing and that is one of the public boat launches into the Neuse. I know a few people that bank fish there and have caught a few cats from that location but not a lot of them. Then on the South East side of Goldsboro there is another public boat landing. If your on 117 heading south from 70 turn to head east on Arrington Bridge Rd. / 581 and continue on 581 and there will be an entrance to the landing right before the bridge goes over the neuse. Bank fishing is much better at that location especially if you pull down the gravel entrance and turn left to drive under the bridge. If you follow that back it will take you to a really nice bend in the river where I know people have caught decent fish there when the river is low, its a nice little whole. If you have a boat though, I woudn't recommend putting an aluminum boat if under 3 feet and a fiberglass boat if under 7 just my thoughts, the river around goldsboro has alot of sandbar type areas and fallen trees.

There is a pond called Durham Lake, really small but have put my 21 foot bass boat in it before. If you head south on 117 again and turn right onto 13 head a mile on 13 and turn left on Durham Lake Rd. Head a few miles down that and the pond is on your left. He charges $2 from bank and $4 or $5 cant remember to put your boat in, there have been some decent bass out of that pond and crappie. I think the deepest I've seen in that pond is about 7 feet.

Theres a few other places in Goldsboro but you need a canoe but I do fish this place a lot especially when the Neuse is low. Just let me know if you want more information cause its all on the Little River and kind of hidden to get to They are nice places to go to and never see anyone out there.

Next there are also a few other places up towards Wilson that are really good, Wiggins Mill and Buckhorn. Wiggins has some bank fishing and Buckhorn has no bank fishing. Buckhorn is $10 to launch a boat and Wiggins is $3, and Wiggins is a trolling motor only. These places are about 20- 30 minutes away.

And finally the next closest place to Goldsboro, is Tar River Resivoir just north of Wilson on I95, I probably do most my fishing there throughout the summer, about a 40 minute drive.

I really only Bass Fish so not sure about other species in these other locations, other than what I have heard or read.

Hope I helped and like I said just shoot me a message whenever and would be glad to help you out and see you around in a couple months.

BassAngler1
I think this is what makes fisherman and this SITE the greatest!! Not only do fisherman share tips, and tactics, but their favorite places to fish! Thanks to BassAngler1

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all the locations. Maybe when you get back in town we can meet up and try to catch some hawgs. I will be staying with my inlaws in Dudley so maybe we can try out sleepy creek or whitetail landing because my inlaws home is about 7 min from there. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Definetly sounds good. I've never fished sleepy creek before. I guess I have just overlooked that for some reason. I knew that was a golf course but I didn't know they had a little lake. Let me know how it looks and if you catch anything, I'm down to less than a month left and I'll be home. Tight Lines BigL20.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
BassAngler.....................may the days grow shorter and your time and thoughts on better times. Plenty of fish standing by to take a lure.

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.