NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Mt. Island at dawn today. Took off with the headlights on just before the local tourney could launch. Me ,Tilly & capt. Ron. Most of the club guys head upriver, but we gave a kayak fishing seminar to the ones that fished near us. Ron & myself got 4 a piece and Tilly was on fire with his disco worm (fire & ice) and caught 7 or so. Green pumpkinseed and junebug for me and Ron. Most were legal keepers or better. If you`re catching fish in view of tournament guys they will come get right up in your grill. Seems like people forget their manners when they fish for $$. Plant was on. All LMB`s on worms. No surface action. As usual all fish released.
Tomorrow, 35deg. and very windy. Sounds like kayak weather. Team Hardcore will be there.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party Tilly!

Reactions: Stew-Rat

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kayakken, there are 3 public launches on mt. Island. from the bottom going upriver you got :
Riverbend access area at hwy 16. biggest and most known. Can paddle to the dam and hothole. This is our favorite spot, mainly for the hothole. only a couple min. from my house.
Next is Latta plantation, right near the curve in the river. There are 2
spots inside the park. Great outdoor provision co. does their yak demo days here. One spot is right on main river, other starts way back in a cove.
Not far north of there is Neck rd. access. Starts in a cove but not far from main channel. Can paddle up a ways and hit Mc Dowell creek.
Can put in at the very top at the dam at hwy 73 but you better be sneaky and have a cart . It`s a long haul down a goat path. It`s the only way to kayak the top unless a boat takes you.
Hope that helps . Can give you a couple more yak only spots, if the water is up, but those are the big 3. Be happy to give you more details on each or directions, etc. Let me know and Team Hardcore will hook you up!----Stu

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little add on . In all fairness of reporting should add that the hothole cooled off for us this a.m. Snakehead caught a few and I stunk it up with one.Guy on the bank caught at least three with minnows. If I was looking for a Sun. fish fry I`d do the same. Tues . I took my 10 yr old and we caught some on minnows. Best thing was variety. We caught LMB`s, spot, bream , and crappie all in one place.
Thought I`d put a pic of ole Snakeyhead from this a.m. on. LMB on top on a chrome spook.
This is my big one, Ivan with a bass from tues. afternoon.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.