NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question but first ill introduce my self, Im new obviosuly, im new to the site look forward to trading info with yall, just got a carolina skiff motors not even broke in yet but me and my wife will be fishing as much as possible hunting and fishing is our lives we are transplanted here to NC due to uncle sam but looks like after next year we will be making it our permanent reisidence, hopefully ill be able to help guys out with fishing holes and stuff around the hubert swansboro area. alright and my question is What is the best way to ctach mud minnows, in a minnow trap ive heard with crushed crab but id like some advice. thanks yall

Hopefully this storm garbage will not last long so i can start posting fishing reports

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Gooseman - welcome to NCAngler! We look forward to hearing about your fishing experiences.

I catch mud minnows in the tidal creek behind my house using a minnow trap. To be honest it don't seem to matter much what I put in there as long as it is seafood, the stinkier the better. I often put the tail or belly from a freshly cleaned fish in there. If not I'll use some frozen crab parts, shrimp or cut mullet.

I leave it in the water for one tide change, that will usually do it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
mud minnows

HI I don`t live close enough to the water to put out a trap so I must rely on a cast net. when I locate some minnows(from shore) I cast over them and QUICKLY drag in the net. If you don`t drag fast enough the minnows will escape under and through the net. hope this helps. also in most places the minnows will be right up against the edge of the water...mark

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
How about some advice on the best type locations for placing a trap? I've always netted mine whether on foot or in a boat.... Just looked till I either found them or gave up on them. Normally they were in very shallow water but those are just the ones I spotted. I don't think I've caught many that I didn't spot first though so it seems to me they must move around a bit according to the water level. I never gave it a lot of thought though. I don't recall ever catching them deep although I may have a time or two and just don't remember doing it.
By the way, welcome aboard Gooseman...and good question.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
NCangler.com member DukeofFluke in Oriental showed me how to catch mud minnows with a trap, using Meow mix kitten chow. Spinkle a bunch of those pellets in the basket then tie it up so it is over half way covered in the water, enough so the minnows can swim in, but not totally immersed. You have to judge this based on tides if that is a factor. Check back in a few hours and if they are in the area you should have some. I've picked up a number of eels this way too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.