NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Those are Morels. I only know one variety.
The "them`s good eatin' " variety.
Mushroom hunting/eating is not to be taken lightly but the Morels are very unique, so very easy to positively identify.
Also rare. Around tis time of year, after rains sometimes you`ll find some. Hard to spot until you`ve found one, then you get the eye for it and check around the area.
They fetch a nice price if you could find a chef local.

Peyote is a cactus Scott, if it`s prickly and green don`t eat it :eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The morels pictured are referred to as blacks. You will also hear morel hunters say grays, whites and yellows. The black morels appear first and the most popular and much preferred yellows are last. I usually find my first yellow of the season, during turkey season, when I sit on it.
They can be rolled in many different things and fried in butter or your favorite oil in a skillet. Can also be deep fried. I usually roll mine in flour or cornmeal, with a little salt, pepper and cayenne.
Sorry to hear you don't have any.
As far as identification goes, morels are easy to identify. An older friend says any mushroom you are unsure of is one for the wife. We're kidding---but we do say that.
I'm not a serious shroom hunter. Just a few for supper a couple times while they're in. I know folks who find grocery sacks full every year. They can be quite pricey for the buyer. I've heard and seen $25-$35/lb.
Mushrooming is like all our other outdoor pursuits---a celebration of life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.