NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the second attempt at landing a Musky on the French Broad River. This time I was ready, with a better setup of gear and tackle. Not sure if I have taken 10,000 casts yet, but on the 100th cast today I got to watch my *personal best* Musky come out from under a lay down and devour my River2sea S-wave rainbow trout (Lure length 6 3/4, weight 1 5/8 oz. ).Then the chaos ensued with the canoe spinning in circles, throwing of a GoPro, messing with the net (but then won't fit in our net), and attempting to land the beast without losing fingers. And yes we were finally able to use a Boga type fish grips and get the joker in the boat for a few pictures. Released unfazed and bolted away like a strike of lightning. :DUnbelievable!

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce, It was an amazing take, the fish came out from under a lay down (log jam) in about 6 ft. of water and inhaled the bait very aggressively. Since the sun was on that area of the water and the bait was only about a foot and a half under the surface we both had a super clear view of the strike. (plus our canoe was only about 12-15 foot away from the lay down) It was a heart stopper for sure seeing that beast flash so close to the boat on my lure. I always practice the figure 8 as soon we launch a few times and with any new lures I tie on for sure, but have never had to use it on a fish.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Henchman,
Lynae and I made the same float that we were talking about when we met ya'll on the river that day, the hookup happening downstream from that ramp about a quarter mile, before the first big rocky shoals. Yep, I think big jointed gliding baits in a trout pattern work well this time of year. (twitch, twitch pause approach) I'm looking for more of a bluegill/sunfish pattern, for when the water warms up later in the season. Good luck on your Musky Quest! That one's still in there….

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I would not necessarily mimick sunfish if I was fishing up there (FB River).

I'd stick to either lures that imitate trout or suckers (as natural colors) or I'd go totally out there with a lot of the hot orange and yellow lures you see on the market. They seem to be pretty popular anymore.

A Mepps spinner size 5 in orange and black is popular lure for river musky.

Plenty of hog and white suckers in the French Broad. Musky love to eat suckers.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of rod are you using- casting or spinning?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gambusia, Funny you asked about a casting or spinning, honestly I currently don't even own a casting rod or reel for freshwater. Haven't since 1998 or so when I sold an old Diawa setup I hated. I have been fishing strictly spinning, even for pitching and jig type techniques. (I use a shorter med-heavy ugly stick for that work) But recently I have been looking into getting a new bait casting setup with all the many improvements I've been reading about. One reason for this is I mainly fish out of a Canoe making bait casting not as easy. Would love any recommendations on casting setups for pitching jigs and cranks??

I was using an inshore salt-water reel spooled with 15lb. mono with a YoZ Floro. disappearing pink 40lb. leader on a med. action ugly stick bass rod when that Musky hit.

I figured a bream/sunfish pattern would be a solid choice later in the season for musky in the FB, due to seeing and catching a ton of nice ones when fishing for bass. You think that they choose not to target sunfish due to the dorsal spines?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
For many eons, most guys who targeted muskies here swore by the Bomber Long A in brown trout. Guys would buy them by the gross. Then Bomber discontinued that model and everyone was not happy. Then the big life like swimbaits came out and everyone smiled again when they started catching fish on them. Tells you how old I am.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slickrocktom, I tried a 6 1/2 husky jerk in brown trout pattern (new purple sunfire color) without much luck twice on the section of the river, but thinking it would be a good choice also. The realistic look of the swimbait I was using was amazing. The River2sea S-wave preformed great with a lifelike flickering action and suspending capability, it really looked great in the water. The only disadvantage was it only sank about 1-2 ft. in depth overall.(sometimes staying really close to the surface) I would have liked to fish it alittle deeper at times, and feel I might have gotten anther look that day if it had. Maybe larger/ heavier hook could help fix that. ?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Musky prefer fish without spiny fins (but they will eat spiny finned fish)- suckers, chubs, trout, carp.

Due to trout stocking in the FB and its tributaries from March-June, trout are still on the menu from now until summer.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
But recently I have been looking into getting a new bait casting setup with all the many improvements I've been reading about. One reason for this is I mainly fish out of a Canoe making bait casting not as easy. Would love any recommendations on casting setups for pitching jigs and cranks??
Would this be for bass/trout or musky?

I'm more of a spincast/spinning rod guy myself although I do have a couple bait casting rods for "big game".

I'd much rather use a spincast reel than a bait casting reel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.