NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm pretty sure Virginia Tech did a study on the New that concluded they didn't put much of a dent in the Smallie population. The flatheads supposedly hurt them more than anything.

That being said, I don't see why not. I think it's been mentioned before that they were stocked in the 60's or 70's.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tiger musky (cross between a musky and a northern pike) were stocked into the Yadkin back in the 1980s. They do not reproduce and died out.

The past few years the NCWRC has had a surplus of musky fry to trade/give to other states. There seems to be plenty of fish already for the Yadkin.

As for costs your probably looking at couple hundred fish or so? How much that costs, not sure

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Just throw some in there and see what happens....no studies need ot be done...i would make a bet that they find a place to spawn in one of the Yadkins many tribs...maybe not enough to sustain but just stock em and see,,

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just throw some in there and see what happens....no studies need ot be done...i would make a bet that they find a place to spawn in one of the Yadkins many tribs...maybe not enough to sustain but just stock em and see,,
Do you think the Yadkin has good spawning habitat?

Even in the French Broad River, NC's best musky habitat, the population has to be maintained by stocking.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
Somebody posted a report from the State on another thread that said a study showed a 95% mortality rate of Muskies in the New. Not so sure they'd fair any better in the Yadkin. The French Broad however has only a 56% mortality rate. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Do you think the Yadkin has good spawning habitat?

Even in the French Broad River, NC's best musky habitat, the population has to be maintained by stocking.
NO....but let the muskies figure it out...I just figure that out of the 5-6 big tribs that they would spawn in one of em but it wont be enough to support the population...

Reactions: gambusia
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.