NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys / gals, as I mentioned in my welcome post, I just got back into fishing this week with penn 3000 series rod and reel combo. I have been going out to Crystal using a couple gotcha plugs, mainly because thats all I remember how to use from when I fished in my teens. So my question is this what are a few other must have lures / rigs / bait combos should I invest in when my plugs aren't drawing in the fish.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Hopkins
Mirrolure
several jig heads and translucent glittery twisty tail grubs in mostly bright colors
circle hooks on all bait rigs - even if you plan to keep fish, so many things are regulated and you may need to release some. Best to improve their odds of survival.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Learn how to make a carolina rig for live baiting and even scented baits like GULP and Fishbites can be used on them. Think about where you will fish the most and what works there dont just go tackle crazy and end up with stuff you never use.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Popping corks, guys don't forget popping corks!!

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A pretty comprehensive assortment of rigging materials. Sleeves, thimbles, beads, hooks, swivels, and an assortment of quality leader line for rigging.

Adjust and adapt to the conditions on the fly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am def clueless about all this. Outside a Gotcha plug I had no clue what to take. Just saw a good video on a Carolina rig seems easy enough to put together.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I am def clueless about all this. Outside a Gotcha plug I had no clue what to take. Just saw a good video on a Carolina rig seems easy enough to put together.
While there are many good lures out there which you will graduate to, the C-Rig with a chunk of mullet or a live mud minnow (available in bait stores and easy to catch your own with traps) is by far the best way to catch multiple species. My favorite is actually a live finger mullet but you need to be able to throw a cast net to catch those. Anyway, rig that bait on a 1/0 or 2/0 Circle hook Carolina rig for most species. You only need about 18 inches or so of leader from the swivel to the hook and you can still use it down to about 6 inches or so. With a circle hook you need not try and 'set the hook' on a bite. Just tighten up with a gentle sweep of the rod while reeling and the fish will hook himself. 98% of the time the hook will be in the corner of his mouth for easy extraction and you can release the fish without harm. If you are getting light taps on the line and not a good 'take' that's either a crab, pinfish or some other irritating critter....the only downside to bait fishing. But persevere and you will be rewarded!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I was out again this morning at crystal and hooked a good size blue looked in the 18 - 20 inch range and as soon as i started to pull him out of the water he came unhooked! That was my first real fish this week. Everything else has been trash or small.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Saved you the hassle of dealing with those teeth. Not a good eater anyway, but a good fighter! Sounds like you got to enjoy that part.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Smoked they are okay. Too many other tastier fish in the sea. I put the blues back or donate them to the King fishermen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A lot of people haven't been exposed much beyond the mild fish like flounder and trout.
When you start getting into the oily fish it's like somebody drinking 8 o clock coffee all their life and being treated to a cup of Starbucks. They aren't going to like it.

I eat blues but only if I fillet them on the spot. Right when they come off the hook. It's like a dove. I want to eat a plate or two a year and then I'm done. Just as soon as have a plate of chittlins.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts