NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before but if you are 65-69 now go get you senior lifetime license now....effective Aug 1 The NCWRC is increasing the date for senior lifetime licenses to the age 70.....they are cheap.......you only have 4 days........
Mack

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot.....some one please get this to Natsdad asap so he can take advantage of this.......

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Guys not to alarm anyone ........... BUT all license fees will go up on 1 August. So if yours has expired and need a new license save a few bucks and get them now.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
They already went up this year. Or they did for me. Was an extra $2

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
That 2 is still in effect but there is another license fee increase. What was a 15 license with 2 admin fee was 17 bucks. Now the 15 will go to 18 with 2 admin fee for 20 bucks.

The new regs for 2014=2015 are on the web...here is a link. Check out the license fees. You will also not there are not any more County license, you have to get state license.

License fees start on page 7.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Regs/Documents/2014-15/NC-Regs-Digest.pdf

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Just my luck. I suppose I'll be a day late when they up on the SS age too. Glad I bought one for Nat when he was a baby---100 bills for life if bought before age 1.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Guys not to alarm anyone ........... BUT all license fees will go up on 1 August. So if yours has expired and need a new license save a few bucks and get them now.

My sportsman expires August 8th. Are you saying I should go get a new one before August 1st to save some dough?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The change for senior lifetime license states that if you were born on or before August 1st of 1953 you will be eligible for the senior lifetime deal when you turn 65. So I guess anybody who is =/> 61 on Aug 1st will be grandfathered under the old rule. That's the good news for us old bastages. The bad news is that based on actuary tables, our available fishing days are numbered. Better make hay while the sun shines and also when it don't.

See page 7:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Regs/Documents/2014-15/NC-Regs-Digest.pdf

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Something I wonder about, but think I know the answer to...

I have a lifetime resident license and have had it for about 20 years. If at some point (retirement, possibly) I become a non resident, will my license still be good? I think the answer is yes but don't know that for a fact.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
NOT sure of the exact correct answer but I would say you will be covered. If you have been in NC or at least 6 months you are could be considered a resident. Check in the reg's above, they address the resident status. Still the license is for NC and it has been working up to date....drive on.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I did read it and it wasn't clear to me. They do send me an address validation every year, though they have switched that to electronic delivery. I am not sure what would happen if one day I entered a COA that was out of state. I have not read anything that says it would be a problem, but I also have never seen anything clearly stating it would not be. They state very clearly what the residency requirements are but never state whether or you are required to maintain residency.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I did read it and it wasn't clear to me. They do send me an address validation every year, though they have switched that to electronic delivery. I am not sure what would happen if one day I entered a COA that was out of state. I have not read anything that says it would be a problem, but I also have never seen anything clearly stating it would not be. They state very clearly what the residency requirements are but never state whether or you are required to maintain residency.
Good for life even if you move out of NC

Read the section that says "here's how it works".

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/HuntingFishingTrappingLicenses/LifetimeLicense.aspx

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quick answer to lifetime question? If the state of North Carolina can find a way to stick one in you, then look out because they will dang sure do it. Look at what happened with boat registration fees last year. The prices more than doubled! Of course, when I contacted my represenative, I was told how much they have lowered my taxes. Calling it a registration fee doesn't change the fact that it's a tax! The sports people of this state are being ripped off, and no one seems to care.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
crabman is correct. Aug 1 1953 is the grandfathered cutoff. Also the $2 processing fee is what goes towards the retailers time for supplying them. If you get your licenses/permits directly from DMF or NC Wildlife there is no processing fee. Some Fees are increasing Aug 1 however most of the ones in effect are non-resident hunting fees, some of which are doubling. One big change now for NC is that this year if you plan to bear hunt you are required to get a $10 Bear E-stamp as well as your typical permittance. This Extra stamp is going towards a research study

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Quick answer to lifetime question? If the state of North Carolina can find a way to stick one in you, then look out because they will dang sure do it. Look at what happened with boat registration fees last year. The prices more than doubled! Of course, when I contacted my represenative, I was told how much they have lowered my taxes. Calling it a registration fee doesn't change the fact that it's a tax! The sports people of this state are being ripped off, and no one seems to care.
User fees. Sometimes hard to swallow but in reality I think it's best. A good example would be a sports arena. Why should the tax payers have to pay for that. The people that use it should pay for it. I don't give a flying flip about going to a hockey game, a basketball game, or a football game. I shouldn't have to pay for those venues. If I do get dragged to one, I'll pay a user fee then.

Pretty much what is happening now is taxes are being cut. Some of that is being made back up through user fees or "user taxes".
My electrical license more than doubled in one year some years ago. To the point, that it costs a lot of money just to hold a license without using it which a lot of people do, especially if you work for someone else. To put somewhat of a number on it, in Wake county alone there is over 800 issued electrical license that more than doubled in cost. Twice the generated revenue in a stroke of the pen.

Where all this becomes a problem to me is if I'm paying for it through my income taxes or property taxes and then you double dip me with a user tax.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I spent a day riding around Hyde county with my Father in Law yesterday. He showed me a lot of places I had never seen and a lot of new/improved ramps I didn't know even existed. I feel better about buying that license seeing all those improvements and new access.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Sounds like most fishing/hunting license issues resolved, but I have a phone number that I got good results from. maybe it will help someone else. It is a wildlife number of some sort. Can't remember the exacts on it. The number is: 919-707-0391.
I had some questions about whether my lifetime license would cover stream trout. The man I talked to could pull my current license up and look at it.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Disclaimer - I bought a comprehensive lifetime license about 20 years ago and was grandfathered in for coastal, so I have not had to pay to fish in years and don't expect to ever have to pay any more to fish in NC. So yeah, I am expressing an opinion about how others should have to pay...

I strongly agree with the idea of use fees, especially for recreational programs. I understand spreading the load when providing basic services and infrastructure. Even if you don't drive, you are likely dependent on roads existing for things to be brought to market and delivered to you. But boat ramps should be paid for by people who launch boats IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts