NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks for this! It helps to explain a day I had last spring when none of the fish I caught were hooked in the mouth...they were all hooked in the side of the head or in the gills. Seeing this is really helpful! Nice job!

Reactions: salpal

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Very good info. thanks.
It's X-raps' wide side to side motion or wiggle & immediate tail fall on the stop, makes them a great search lure.
The MR's ( 17-18-27 ) have a downward slow narrow wobble after twitching.

I've watched enough pool lure videos to be a lifeguard.
Find them with the X-Rap, catch them on the MirrOlure.
Will try out your theory today. Thanks again......ICM

Reactions: salpal

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skunked, 52° cold & windy........ICM
I think the xrap is a bit better at getting a hook in them when they're just doing that bumping of the lure. My guess is it's just how close the hooks are to the body of the lure or perhaps the angle that it moves at like you mentioned. Can't argue that the 17 is better at drawing an actual strike more often than any other bait. Especially in the cold weather. When we hit the 45-50* range that bite gets really hard. That's when I move to my shallow creeks and look for a big girl to eat a topwater in the late evening after the water has warmed up several degrees. These next few days will be prime for that big trout bite I like to go for late evening.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Skunked, 52° cold & windy........ICM
Same for me today—Pamlico River 50 degrees, my creek 48 degrees. Water was gin clear and I could see the bottom in 5 feet of water. Trolled 3 lines for over 2 1/2 hours—in the creek and in the river—without a strike, while pitching an MR17. Nada, Zip, Zero, Nothing—except that it was an absolutely beautiful day on the water.

Reactions: cbruce41

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Yesterday, 3 of us fished everywhere we all have caught Trout before. Throwing X-raps, soft plastic, DOA Shrimp, MR's, 52's & a topwater, caught 1 Rat Red on MR17.
Water temp - 51. Water clarity - gin clear. Wind - slick calm.
Did finally find, mean see, really meant spooked about 30 + quality Trout.
At least we know where we need to fish next trip..........ICM

·
Registered
121 Posts
Using a 17MR it's not uncommon to feel that little bump multiple times before you actually get a hook-up. I've learned to look for it, once I feel it I usually just kill my retrieve and wait. For whatever reason the trout seem to prefer that suspended pause for their strike, I sit on it for 15-30 sec after that bump and usually end up with a solid strike during that period. Don't ask me why...talk to the trout!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts