NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best part of 2007 is that I am still here. I caught a fish too! I have made many friends on this site and I feel that this is an opportune time to give everyone a heads up on my medical issues. In 2004 me and the Good Wife took a trip to Alaska to celebrate our 50th. A seven day cruise on the inner passage with another week in the wilderness fly fishing for salmon. The cruise part went fine. I came down with pneumonia and spent the remaining eight days in Anchorage at Providence Hospital. I was discharged tethered to oxygen and advised that I had underlying problems that needed immediate attention soon as I could get back to North Carolina.
Long story short, UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill diagnosed me with squamous cell carcinoma in my right bronchi (big ole lung cancer) and unable to operate.(I was heavy smoker until I quit 1980) Believe me--tobacco will get you sooner or later. The doctors gave me my survival chances: 50% one year-30% year two-20% year three-10% year four. They offered me and twelve other Guinea pigs a chance to take part in an experimental program which consisted of massive dosages of chemo, radiation daily along with dosages of the pill Iressa. With those odds, why not? It was pure H*** during the three months of treatments and complications that followed. I don't know whether I was number seven, eleven or thirteen but I'm' still here and going wide open even though its the skinny portion of the projected chances.

About the time I was able to stir around a little, a sickly stray cat showed up in the neighborhood. I overheard my Good Wife and neighbor carrying on a conversation stating that if he doesn't soon get better someone needs to take him out and shoot him. I didn't know if they were talking about me or the cat. Just to be safe, I lit out to the coast and got back to fishing. I launched my boat and docked it in the harbor without painting the bottom with anti-foulant paint. With my survival chances, I wasn't going to worry about barnacles. Word of advice, if you think you might die, go ahead and paint the bottom or you will probably live to spite yourself. When I pulled the boat out six months later, I have never scraped so many barnacles in my life.

There's no way you can survive an ordeal like this without the help from the Big Guy upstairs and the love and dedication of a devoted spouse and children. The Good Wife has remained upbeat and supported me fully catering to my passion of fishing. My doctors and care providers at UNC are the greatest. I actually look forward to my routine check ups and tests there. I always pass out some of my home made flies to the fisher persons on the medical staff on each visit with the stipulation that when I go-- the flies go. They have vowed that they will keep me propped up and breathing.

Dale Carnegie summed it all up: "ATTITUDES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN FACTS"

Fish on my friends -- LIFE IS GOOD -- It may be later than you think.:) HAPPY 2008

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Getting to know you Forrest has been one of many bright spots that has resulted from my starting NCangler.com. Thank you for being here, for the flies and for sharing the struggle. Your attitude is an encouragement to others. I hope you have a blessed new year and good health in 2008! ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Forrest you're a fine fella' and you have my prayers and support!!

Reactions: fojoloy

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
That's what my mom says Forrest, just take her out back and make it quick... ha ha haha...

Well, I'm glad your "still" here! ;) and I'm glad to have you as part of my memorable fishin trips as well.. Dang, If'n I'd of known about the pnuemonia thing.. I'd of never asked ya to go out in that mess we did in Feb!!! :rolleyes:

Was excellent to have you and the good wife over for the bbq as well.
Health issues are never easy... My wife has some health issues of her own and not only is it hard on the person, but for family as well. We go when it's our time and it just hasnt been your time.. so glad to call you a friend and if you ever need anything of me.. just call and I'll help however I can.

Now if I can figure out how to properly utilize them popper fly's you passed down to me... ;) :) Your a good man Forrest and a hard man to keep down, best wishes in 08! ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now if I can figure out how to properly utilize them popper fly's you passed down to me... ;) :)
Dave---I figured that if anybody knew how to use them, it would be you. When you get your upgrade ride, try trolling them down in the Caribbean.:D

Thanks for the kind words. When I do check out, it will probably be like I have lived --kicking, scratching, and gouging all the way. My mentor was a wise man and advised me to diminish the word "problem" from my vocabulary, I never have problems--just situations that I deal with.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.