NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I'd let you know about my third coast trip.
My fishing partner, Rick and myself went down to Aransas Pass, Tx (near Corpus Christi) for a guided fishing trip on the bay flats there. We launched at sunrise with our guide Dean "Slowride" Thomas, a super awesome guy, and were meet right away by a baby dolphin and her mom that came within 20 yards of us. It was not the best of days weather wise with morning temps in the lower 50's and winds at 15 to 20 knots, which calmed to about 10 knots later in the afternoon.
We started out with topwater bait with no hits so we switched to DOA shrimp with a little better results. We wound up catching about 50 fish total with about half of those being a nice size. Most of those were spotted trout with a few reds and 1 flounder. Unfortunately none of them were the famed bull reds of the Texas coastal bend, maybe next time. This was our first time fishing the salt and we had a blast. Dean said that it was a tough day for fishing and they weren't biting that well but that we did great considering the day. I would love to be there on a good day. All in all we had a great time. Anyone going to Texas I would highly recommend Dean for a guide he is just a wealth of knowledge.
I haven't fished the coast here and am still a salt rookie but I loved it. Maybe when spring time rolls around I could tag along and learn the N.C. coast with some of the pros here.

Tight Lines
Mutt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm fishing in Texas then the answer is no. Otherwise the fish are huge. I fish mostly freshwater and my best fish was about a 10 pound bass and my buddy Rick's is a 13.5 pound bass, and 7 to 8 pounders are pretty common.

Mutt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's kayak fishing heaven down there. Hopefully I'll get to hit coast here this spring with some of you guys for some good Carolina coastal fishing, since my fishing partner is in Texas, I'm kinda fishing solo.

Mutt

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a good time for sure! My only connection to Texas was the crazy daughter of the Palo Pinto Co. Sherriff...LOL! Long story.. BAD ending!!

Reactions: Mutt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a good time for sure! My only connection to Texas was the crazy daughter of the Palo Pinto Co. Sherriff...LOL! Long story.. BAD ending!!
Having gone through Palo Pinto Co before I can take a pretty good guess. Crazy sherriff's daughters from Texas is a good reason to stay here in good old N.C. The fishing isn't that great down there. LOL

Mutt

·
Registered
608 Posts
Dean is a great guy, excellent guide and heck of a fisherman. I have known him for many years. There used to be a kayak fishing series that had events in Texas and Florida. And the Texas guys would come over for events, and we would go there for events. Had a nice friendly rivalry going between the Texas Teams and Florida Teams. Texas is a great place to kayak fish. Sounds like you had a great trip, but if "Slowride" was your guide, then I would not have expected anything different.

If you have not yet seen Scott Nulls book "Kayak Fishing - The Ultimate Guide"....I highly recommend it. Scott is another one of the Texas guys and the book covers everything about kayak fishing. With some awesome photos. Think you can get it from Helipress....but Dean is in a couple of the photos.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Dean is a great guy, fun to be around. If anyone is going down there please look him up. He is a ledgend down there on the Texas coast and well deserved reputation at that. Here is a plug for his web site and if anyone goes let me know. I'll try to get a discount from his sorry butt next time I go, LOL.

http://slowrideguide.com/

Also a good website for Texas kayak fishing and kayak fishing in general is..
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com
A ton of good info there. If it is against the rules to post other websites here let me know and I'll take it down. Sorry if it is.

Mutt

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Crazy sherriff's daughters from Texas is a good reason to stay here in good old N.C.
<chuckle> I married the daughter of a Texas cop -- just not a sheriff...
I too am looking forward one of these days to yak-fishing the Texas Gulf. My sister-in-law is in Houston now, I know of a guide down near Matagorda way, I was thinkin' of trying to hook up with them one of these days...

My wife just got back from a visit down there, and met one of her sister's friends who has an offshore boat. They went over there for dinner and had Mahi and three other species from a recent trip, and my wife was much impressed. If I'm lucky I might score a tag-along one of these days....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.