NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my fishing adventures mid-2014, and a few weeks ago purchased an Old Town Saranac 146 canoe. I would've gotten a kayak, but my wife convinced me that the kids would enjoy going out on Jordan Lake with me. Okay, canoe it is.

My oldest kid (10) has pretty serious anxiety, and though she said she was excited for our maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago, she went into full-blown panic once we got to the launch. The canoe was tippy, she cried. She was terrified, in tears, the whole ball of wax. I felt bad for the kid, and when we got back home, I showed her some pictures of canoe outriggers, explained what they were, and asked if she would give the canoe another try if I added them to make the canoe less "tippy". She said she would.

So...having no experience in this, I looked around for a DIY project, not wanting to pay $200+ for a set of outriggers (although, good Lord, it would've been easier). I found this:

http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/topic30202.html

After a lot of trial and error (I'm not the handiest guy), I finished them this afternoon using these plans and materials. The outriggers seem pretty dang stable, and with some luck and good salesmanship on my part, I think I'll be able to convince my daughter to give the canoe another try. She absolutely loves to fish from the bank, and I know this would take it to a new level for her.

All in, the project set me back about $120. Not cheap, and they ain't pretty, but they'll work! :D

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Hardwood
Office supplies Cone Line Composite material Audio equipment
Wood Trigger Air gun Gas Gun barrel
Wood Material property Audio equipment Gas Hardwood

I'll share some feedback once they've been in actual water!

Dave

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Not sure what the rod holder mounts you used are rated for in terms of load, but if the canoe is weighted in one direction and it fails, a tip over is almost guaranteed. Just something to keep in mind. Overall, some good work and does not look too ugly in my book.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're Scotty Rodmaster IIs. I'm not sure what weight they'll support, but they're pretty solid. But I appreciate the head's up. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll have to make sure the kiddos stay still or we'll be going for an icy dip!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.