NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the Haw today after I got out of work and dropped the boys off at school. This was my first time fishing it and I was REALLY hoping for some beginners luck. The fishing gods however had a different plan. I decided to hit the Bynum section and worked my way south. Not only did I not catch one, but at this point I'm certain that the Haw doesn't even hold carp, contrary to what others might say. I saw not a single carp.... nada, zilch, Zippo, nothin at all. I scoured all the fishy carpy spots that I thought would at least let me put eyes on some river carp.

I will say this however. I saw a bunch of good looking, quality sized bass. I would have given up my carp quest and fished for bass if it weren't for one key factor....... I forgot my streamer box on top on my tying table. Son-of-a-!!! I just can't catch a break.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
194 Posts
I can agree with evblue, i know a stretch of river, not the haw, that has a ton of carp and is very good for sight fishing but the carp dont show heavily until the spawn and then again around late june/early july.
Its my favorite spot but i do not even waste my time going until late summer as it is not very close to home.

I also have a flat near my home that has carp showing heavily as early as march but its not a good sight fishing spot because the water is literally as stained as chocolate milk most of the time.

My experience is that carp in different water do different things at different times and you always have to put time in to find really productive spots for what you are trying to do and know when to be there. This region is not great for it like other places.

Keep trying to find them you will find a good area eventually. On another note, i have never fished the haw but have passed over it driving. When i did it was very stained, does it stay that way a lot or have clear areas?
The tar is usually muddy for the most part, but there is a stretch about 4-5 miles long near my home that is as clear as any trout stream. Visibility is 5 ft sometimes in the summer. Thats not the case right now however. Its high and muddy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can agree with evblue, i know a stretch of river, not the haw, that has a ton of carp and is very good for sight fishing but the carp dont show heavily until the spawn and then again around late june/early july.
Its my favorite spot but i do not even waste my time going until late summer as it is not very close to home.

I also have a flat near my home that has carp showing heavily as early as march but its not a good sight fishing spot because the water is literally as stained as chocolate milk most of the time.

My experience is that carp in different water do different things at different times and you always have to put time in to find really productive spots for what you are trying to do and know when to be there. This region is not great for it like other places.

Keep trying to find them you will find a good area eventually. On another note, i have never fished the haw but have passed over it driving. When i did it was very stained, does it stay that way a lot or have clear areas?
The tar is usually muddy for the most part, but there is a stretch about 4-5 miles long near my home that is as clear as any trout stream. Visibility is 5 ft sometimes in the summer. Thats not the case right now however. Its high and muddy.
The Haw was reasonably clear yesterday. I'm pretty surprised because about a week ago the water was moving @ 9000cfs(per USGS). There were some parts that were definitely cloudier than others, but it was totally sight fishable.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Next time you see LMBs again, use the same fly you have on for carp. I fly fish mainly for bream and crappie, and use a crappie candy fly a lot for them. I'll occasionally catch LMBs on that fly. I fish at a private pond once in a while. Last couple of times I was there, I saw some carp near the dam there. I tied several times to see if they would hit my crappie candy fly with no luck at all. Don't think they even looked at it, and I know i dragged it across their noses a few times.
Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hallelujah!!! I finally landed my first carp on a fly rod this morning after I got out of work! Overcast and cool this morning, the carp were out in abundance. This guy took a hellgrammite pattern that I like to tie. Water clarity is definitely getting much better for sight fishing. To be completely honest it was more luck than anything else. He was in a pretty stained portion of water and when I set the hook it was really just a WAG(wild a** guess). I knew he was close to my fly, real close, so I strip set and IT WAS ON! He didn't make any blazing runs, he was just raw power. We played tug-o-war for about 20 minutes or so before I was able to coax him in. I didn't have a net with me and the water he was in was smelling FUNKY today(there was a nasty film on top of the water at the waters edge) so I didn't really want to get in the water so I could beach him and get the obligatory first carp picture. I guess he was probably in the 10-12 ish pound range. Boy what a fish for my first carp. A little bit later I got to watch one of his friends charge a damsel fly that I cast his way. I landed it about a foot or so in front of is face in much clearer clearer water. As the fly was falling in the water column he caught sight of it, perked right up and charged hard. I actually got to watch him take take the fly. I set the hook and he took off. Unfortunately he threw the hook quickly, that's the downside to crushing barbs. There were 6-8 other guys feeding around him when he bolted, which spooked the rest of them. It's true about carp releasing pheromones when they are spooked, because after that they were all gone except for one or two stragglers. The ones that were left shut down completely. All in all it was an awesome morning! This was the better part of a year in the making for me. There is no hope for me now, I used to be a respectable fisherman, now I just want to hunt carp with my fly rod!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I mash mine down as well. Those crazy wild trout will throw a fly super quick without a barb (and with too I assume). I try and do my part though. Some dudes leave the barb off to add sport/challenge to landing the fish as well.

Lthrnck, I've been trying to pm you. Won't go through for some reason. Maybe try sending me one if ya can. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I mash mine down as well. Those crazy wild trout will throw a fly super quick without a barb (and with too I assume). I try and do my part though. Some dudes leave the barb off to add sport/challenge to landing the fish as well.

Lthrnck, I've been trying to pm you. Won't go through for some reason. Maybe try sending me one if ya can. Thanks.
Check your inbox. I had 12 msg' s waiting from you, but when I replied back I got an error message. Maybe you have my response in your inbox.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.