NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a crate for my new yak and since I wanted my bait cooler directly behind the seat a standard plastic crate wouldn't fit so I decided to build my own.

I used poplar which I know isn't the best but free is good. Not sure exactly what it weighs but I'd guess less than 5lbs. I may add some reinforcement to the top corners later if needed but it seems plenty solid.

Fits like a glove and doesn't slide around.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Very nice. Looks like it could double as a turtle cage. Sorry, couldnt resist:D. I've been thinking about building one as well and you might of just motivated me w/ this.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Looks good!

Poplar is strong and light so not a bad choice as long as you keep it oiled or sealed and let it get plenty of air between trips

Darrell

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. Looks like it could double as a turtle cage. Sorry, couldnt resist:D. I've been thinking about building one as well and you might of just motivated me w/ this.
If I get swept out to sea, I can tie some cord on it and use it for a crab trap. :D

Looks good!

Poplar is strong and light so not a bad choice as long as you keep it oiled or sealed and let it get plenty of air between trips

Darrell
I used dark walnut "Danish Oil" to finish it since I had some on hand. I wish I'd spent more time sanding it because the grain is really nice on several pieces but I had limited build time and did the best I could with the time I had. It's good enough for what it is though.

ETA: The first pic was after one coat, I've done a second and may do a third.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts