NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. Hit the lake this evening and decided it was time to try a crank bait on this bait caster reel I was loaned and an ugly stick 6.5 rod another buddy gave me to try. Started with an old rat l trap and was doing well so decided OK time for the 3/4 red eye shad!!!! I was able t cast that sucker well past any spot I have gotten before and on the third retrieve BAM wasn't sure I had a fish at first the tip of the ugly stick must be like a baseball bat. Fish goes airborne and I now know I have a quality fish on. Fish takes one more jump or two and tries to run around the point but I was able to pull it out of the overhanging limbs and get it landed and weighed a nice 6.25 LMB! Not bad for first bait caster bass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty work, seems to be a coastal expression, but fitting. And by the way I think I recognize the spot your fishing.;)
I am sure anyone can guess the lake but the spot is still a secret :cool:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I owned about half a dozen 300's as a kid. My dad used to take me to the drugstore every March and they would go on sale for $13.00 ( funny how you remember some things ) and we would each get a new one for the year. I also remember bending the handle on a lot of them for some reason. They worked as general freshwater do everything reel but the retrieve ratio was really slow as I recall and the line would get up under the spool often. I don't miss them. All of ours back then were Swedish built. Once I discovered a 5500C there was no going back. I never did own a 308---went straight to Swedish built Zebco Cardinal 4's and 3's That was a nice spinning reel back in the day.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The new Mitchell 308 Pro is probably the equivalent as far as capacity and drag goes to the old 300's however they are now polymer composite housings and the handle is made much better. They take the salt VERY well for inshore use, obviously with a good fresh water cleaning when you get home.

Gene - Red > < - Asheboro

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Good looking fish Spidey glad you getting the hang of it.

I had a 308 and loved it, but never fished a 300. I went from a 33 to a ABU 5000 opted to spend the extra 5.95 for the 5:1 gear upgrade. Funny thing is that in the last 4 or 5 years I have started using spinning reels more and more. Certain things about them lend themselves to use a yak more than the baitcasters. I still carry at least one baitcaster except for the South Fork of the New.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bait casters can be addicting lol, that is a nice first fish on one!
everyone tells me I will become addicted. Probably not till I get the LH retrieve but still working on casting and yesterday successfully pulled out the worst birds nest I have ever had so far!

·
Registered
567 Posts
everyone tells me I will become addicted. Probably not till I get the LH retrieve but still working on casting and yesterday successfully pulled out the worst birds nest I have ever had so far!
Yeah at first I didn't really like them and the bird's nests can be aggravating. Once I got everything figured out and set right, I really liked them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.