NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basswrangler had to cancel on our trip last minute so I ended up hitting topsail solo this am. I fished the new river inlet on foot for four or five hours and got nothing but a few short flounder and sea bass. I did see a rat red but it wouldn't give me any attention.

I was throwing the new 6" gulp shrimp when I landed this monster! Just kidding regular old 3" and a regular old shorty.

Bird Vertebrate Beak Water Feather

I packed it up after fishing from low tide all the way to high and headed down south. Started at the dredge dock and caught a few lizards before I got crowded out and headed to the south end. Cast netted some mullet and hooked what I thought was a monster drum in the surf, but turns out it was just a stupid ray.

Fished my way back to the dredge dock with gulp!, mirrolures, and topwater with absolutely no love. Switched to finger mullet just before sunset but all I cast netted were big old 6" ones. I was desperate because the sun was going down so I threw one on the hook and cast it out. I let it hit the bottom and pulled a little and felt a "snag." then the snag took off! Drag pulled like crazy on my medium action cherrywood and 2000 avocett reel. I was waste deep when I hooked him so I had to drag him all the way back to the bank. It drew a little crowd and a fisherman was nice enough to measure it for me. He was right at 22.5 with his mouth closed. By far my best flounder ever.

Reptile Jaw Hat Baseball cap Cap
Plant Hat Cap Baseball cap Fish
Gas Metal Artifact
Organism Fish Marine biology Invertebrate Natural material

On a side note I tried so hard for trout with no luck, and had about convinced myself they weren't in the area, when a kid cast netted a keeper trout right where I had fished for 20 minutes :confused: I have no clue what to do different, I fished gulp!, mirrolures and topwater. Maybe live bait next time?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need to learn how to "bassmaster" a flounder. They look so unimpressive in pics, he was huge when I pulled him out of the water. I guess because they don't get disproportionate like a bass does.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations on a nice fish.............BTW that same finger mullet would catch a trophy trout.
I tried all over for a trout. I guess I just can't sense the fish like I can a bass, flounder, or to an extent, a drum. I can't just look at the water and think "if I were a trout that's where I'd be." Maybe one day i'll snag a big ole gator.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry man I didn't find out that Jacob couldn't go until 12:30 the night before. Didn't really give me time to call anybody. If I'd have known you were at the coast I would have tried to meet up. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.