NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday afternoon for a short trip to my favorite Pamlico River creek. In an hour and a half I caught 9 very pretty and very fat specks that ranged from 15-17 inches. River temp and creek temp were about the same at 61-62 degrees. Clarity was excellent at 2 1/2 - 3 feet.

All fish came on a 4-inch Z-Man Swimming Trout Trick in Bad Shad color (kinda smoke grey), 1/8 ounce Gamagatsu jig-head, reeled back to the boat quickly with lots of twitches and jerks, and in about 4-5 feet of water. A North wind at around 10 mph was moving water into the creek, and I stayed in or near the mouth. Hard strikes and feisty fish—kept my 4-fish limit and am going to introduce them to a hot skillet this evening. No gator-sized fish, but a good start for the fall season!

Grey Seafood Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done. I'm way south of you & found a slooow retrieve, almost still as been the ticket.
Forgot to add one trip topwater & MirrOlure 52 worked best.
Another trip X-rap & #D minnow, matched the hatch & got it done...... ICM
YES, ICM—that’s my dead of winter method with MR 17s and a very slow retrieve (a twitch on a 6-7 second count), especially over a mudflat that gets good afternoon sun. Have also done pretty well with the sinking Mirrolure M52 when trolling under a bobber or a Windsor bobber/planer. Have not had much success with the X-Raps, though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went again yesterday—same bait, same time of day, and same results. Only had 3 keepers— but they were better quality fish at 17-19 inches. And very fat!

Food Fish Ray-finned fish Seafood Fish products

Plant Seafood Fish Crocodile Ray-finned fish

Reactions: CBower
1 - 3 of 3 Posts