NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a pond out in Chatham county, saw a lot of other ponds on my drive as well, and he invited me out to fish it this weekend. he was hoping to see me land one of the big bass he believes are in the pond.

i arrived bait 630am and started off with a buzz bait. To my surprise not a single blow up on the buzz. The pond is crystal clear and I was on.y seeing a little action on the surface, he says most mornings he sees lots of activity. Since he only wants me fishing with non treble hooks I next tried a senko. Landed two 1# bass on the senko. The pond had a lot of pollen on it at one end so I decided to try frog plus lots of lay downs in the area so wanted to toss a frog into some tight spots. Had a couple bass pop at the frog with no luck so decided to switch to a smaller frog. Got two more 1# on the frog but could never scare up anything larger. I did see a good sized bass take off from one tight area but couldn't get it interested.

i tried chatter bait and spinners but no takes may have to try different colors in this clean water they didn't seem to want to hit white or Chartruese but than again it seemed slow Saturday morning.

looking forward to fish the pond more it's a good 45 minute drive but if there are some big bass and it isn't fished much might make it worth while for a venture out now and than.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try a trailer hook on the larger frog? I can see how it would be really crucial with a frog having hooks so flush to the body.
the bass were small so the smaller frog did the trick. The idea of throwing a frog is into tight cover and lilly pads etc last thing I want is an exposed hook

·
Registered
748 Posts
i love frog fishing but they type you describe sounds like horny toad water to me, especially if there are bushes or stuff to skip under on the bank.

put a 1/0 shortshank hook on a spook or cut two of the trebles off if the pond is clear and have fun :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congrats on the frog catch. I have Zoom Horny Frog catches but nothing on the other frog lure.

Had a good time at Jordan Tues with topwater. First catch on the new Yamamoto Tate. A little guy tried and missed but later I had a 2# take it, nice. They were more interested in the little roostertail though, 3 at 1-2# and 1 3#. Bowfin and bluegills hit it too.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a big one blow up on it the other day on a lilly pad. Bass took it but I pulled to soon had it for a while jumped 4 times in the pads and got off.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Dude, throw a floating worm. Not to beat a dead horse, but I have seen bass eat the worm, when they short struck the frog.
Love me a floating worm. Caught some on frogs Tuesday and missed some on a senko twitched across heavy pads. That's my favorite heavy pad lure. You twitch it across the top and when the bass blows up through the pads, instead of floating, the senko falls through them and the bass usually hit it on the fall.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dude, throw a floating worm. Not to beat a dead horse, but I have seen bass eat the worm, when they short struck the frog.
will give it a try I found some bubble gum colored however the pads the bass are in may be out of reach of a floating worm cast but will try it next time on the pads. This lake is only one with lilly pads that I know of in wake county

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Lightly weighted Texas rig or a shakey head, in my opinion. The weightless worm is a good option but if you need more weight for the cast, those would be my next step. Smaller ponds, in my experience, it's easy to spook the fish and the 'quieter' baits or finesse type baits sometimes make a huge difference.

Congrats on the frog bass, I got my first one last Fall at Guntersville and I was happy to have checked off one more new technique that was a milestone for me. That's cool you got your first!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.