NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was my first offshore fishing trip ever and thank goodness it was with a fine and experienced boat captain and excellent host. Dave I realize how much preparation you made to get everything ready and how much thought you put into making sure all your mates had a good day fishing and boy did we ever.

My take on my first trip out:

Left my home in Fayetteville at 1:00 am, picked Rob Latta up at 1:20 and headed to Wellcraft Dave's. Met Randall and Dave and headed us down NC 87 for the 3 hour trip in his F150 road horse (we had to get ice). Arrived at Wrightsville Beach I think around 4:45 am where we met Scott and Gery (Hunters Haven) two genuinely nice fisherman.

We depart at around 5:00 am and I had no idea what I was about to encounter. Since Friday night was my daughters birthday dinner I did not get home until 11:00 am and sleep was out of the question this close to the trip so I already felt like I had a 12 beer hangover. It was lightly raining as we left port and I had taken 2 Draminine an hour earlier so I felt confident as we left. Well, this was not like a trip you see on television on these offshore fishing shows. They don't leave port and they don't film in weather like this. It was plain miserable, it started getting rough and I was holding on for dear life with my right arm threaded through the stainless railing by the captians seat when we hit a large wave and my knee I had surgery on gave way and buckeled sending me to the deck. Only probablm here was my arm was still threaded through the railing and it bruised both sides of my arm pretty significantly to the extent that I didn't think I could hold a rod. I had to sit on the back of the boat attempting to stay secured. I was pretty proud that I hadn't become sick and thought the Draminine was doing its job. We have been at sea about and hour now and reality hit me, there goes the stomach and I hung my head overboard and threw up everywhere except the outside of the boat, thank goodness Dave had a hose and water for washing out his usual fish blood, guts and and now my once eaten food and drink.

I would throw up two more times before the day was over(may have been 3 more) and get thrown around the boat like a rag doll hobbling on one leg but I had such a great boat Captain and fellow mates that I would still have a memorable trip with a positive experience. After I setteld down a bit and got over being shell shocked I caught fish and had a wonderful experience thanks to Dave, Randall, Gery, Scott and Rob.

Rob and I cleaned the fish today and we reminesced about one heck of a mostly fun day and how Captain Wellcraft Dave took us on a trip we will remember the rest of our lives.

How do I feel now? I have a badly bruised right arm, wind/sunburn, bruises on my knee and stomach and the muscles and every joint in my body are hurting but I am ready to go again tomorrow if its not stormy.

Jim

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Jim,

I'm just glad ya didnt take out the steering wheel!!

Yeah, best if we had you sittin down for sure.. and dont worry about the chum "on board", yer not the first..

We had no option,, had to keep ya busy, so best call was to stick a rod in yer hand... Probably the best thing for ya.. got yer first sea bass and a mahi!

I'll call ya next time when it's 4-7's and a 15-20 knot wind! ;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Jim,
It was a pleasure meeting you. Just remember any trip you go on from now on will have to be better than your first. In other words anything going forward should be a piece of cake compared to your first experience. I'm glad you got a Mahi. It was nice to see you catching fish after feeling so miserable. Look forward to fishing again with you soon.
Gery

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jim, praise the Lord that you got the bad conditions out of the way the first time out with someone (Dave) that knows how to make the best out of bad conditions and turn an otherwise miserable experience into a memorable one.

Just think what it will be like when you go out and the condtions are perfect or much more favorable! I can hear it now, Jim asking for advice on the purchase of his first offshore vessel!

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Dave, I did almost get that steering wheel didn't I. I was also using you for support.

Jim
Well, if I seemed to have pushed ya back, it was just that I was protectin that steerin wheel... I've already had an experience where we had the throttle/shift lever sheared off the helm.. Saturday wasnt a day for a repeat! ;) I'll admit, I looked at Gery and was worried about ya, but you did great once you got the 'motion' / hang of it. Little different than bein up on the pond... ;) If the boat had seat belts, you'd a been wearin one:p

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Just think what it will be like when you go out and the condtions are perfect or much more favorable! I can hear it now, Jim asking for advice on the purchase of his first offshore vessel!
Agreed, He'll have a blue bird day or even a 3-4 offshore day licked!
when I got back into the 3-4's we ran pretty fast coming back in compared to what we had just left.. I heard a bunch of WOOO Hooo's goin on in the back,, come to find out it was Jim with both his hands raised (not holdin on..) :) that made me smile.

Jim, I know where you can get a boat just like mine for a great price... ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.