NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first SOT kayak today with the paddle for $180 off of craigslist. Its not ideal but I couldn't pass up the price. I'm very excited to get it out on the water in the morning and slime it up!! Anyone had any experience with them? I already made an anchor trolley for it I just need to make some push poles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paddle still has the $30 price tag on the blade so it's pretty much a $150 yak that looks brand new. I'm more then happy. Going to try it out in a pond tomorrow and then work my way up to fishing inshore this summer. If I ever get the guts I'd like to try yakking out baits for sharks but that will be a while!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
granted I don't know yaks but looks like as long as you use an inserted storage compartment that fits the space, and seal it in properly, you would be fine but to just cut a hole and slap a lid on it, No.. If you do cut it, it also looks like a good time to add some sort of mounting pad in front of it, since you can get your hand inside the hull then, like a piece of cutting board you can drill and screw stuff to like a FF or rod holder, maybe a scotty mount that can do it all.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Keep your weight limit in mind too. Those are 250lb limit kayaks.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I'm dangerous I might just glue in a tupperware container or old Folgers can, so I have to be careful what I recommend LOL..

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took the yak out and caught my first fish on it. Learned a lot about the kayak too. Im glad I recently dropped from 244 to 212... otherwise it wouldn't have handled me and my gear plus the anchor. I loaded it down all the way today and it did really well. Only two complaints. First off it doesn't track worth a darn. If you stop paddling it immediately cuts sharply to one side or the other. I know its because it is so short and I can live with it. It turns on a dime. My other complaint is that with all my gear the cargo compartment sometimes gets water in through the scuppers. I had a lot of weight in it today so its not unexpected but I think I will plug those two scuppers. I'm working on dropping 20# by summer so hopefully that will fix alot of the problems. Im not going to hatch it or add anything to it because I want to be able to sell it for what I have in it when I upgrade. My homemade anchor trolley worked well though

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Myfitnesspal app. It counts all my calories and nutrition in everything I eat. I balance my protein fat and carbs and it calculates how many calories you burn each day so you know how many to eat to lose weight. Every time you exercise you enter that too and it adds to what you can eat for the day. Before and current..(current is the bass)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My gf stole my kayak most of the day. She's never been in one and she loved it. It fits her much better then it does me. When I upgrade i'll probably pass it on to her.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.