NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were staying in the mountains last weekend and while the gang was playing cards I decided to try my luck at a local stream that I had never fished before. It is very small and I had doubts of finding anything. After an hour or so of scrambling I found some very small pools. I couldn't believe anything could survive in such a small and shallow area but thought it was worth a try. I didn't find anything for a while then I came across a couple of larger pools about 5' or so wide maybe 6 to 12" deep. They each held a fish! I ended up catching 2 brook and 1 brown. Here is where I caught them:
Plant Water Plant community Natural landscape Bedrock

Here is one of the brook (sorry phone didn't focus properly):
Hand Water Fish Fisherman Fishing

And here is the brown:
Water Salmon-like fish Organism Fish Marine biology

I had gotten skunked wading in the New near Todd for an hour or so the previous day so this made my weekend. My first wild trout including a brown. Not very big but sure rewarding to catch. These were caught using UL spinning gear on a joe's flies spinner/fly.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Those are perfect size for a stream like that. I love small water trout fishing. I also got skunked as far as trout go in Todd last weekend at the island park. Saw some big browns there though

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Nice creek. I've fished ones much smaller than that one that held fish. Good job.

Swampin'-I'm gonna make a run up to the island in about a month. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Nice creek. I've fished ones much smaller than that one that held fish. Good job.

Swampin'-I'm gonna make a run up to the island in about a month. I'll let you know how it goes.
It's a delayed harvest stretch of river and the first time I went there was before the season opened and it was absolutely loaded. we caught bows, browns and brooks. It just felt fished out last weekend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.