NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 12 year old brother catfishing this eve. The river wasn't as low yet as I prefer from Thursdays big rain but with a chance of T storms next 2 eves I knew it might be my only chance. We caught bait til dark then settled in to wait. I had planned to be home by 10 but with a few things messing with our baits I wanted to stay a bit longer. At 10:05 or so my brothers rod bends over and the fight was on. After a 5 min fight or so which the fish drug him around a while he managed to get it to the surface. I paddled over and landed the fish with my fishgrips. 42 inch Flathead. He was very excited! ! This was his first time night catfishing and he trashed my PB lol.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was much more of a fight than the 35 inch blues I've caught. They come to the surface and splash almost right away and the fight is over in a minute. The flat never broke the surface until it was done. It camped out right under him for a while with a medium heavy catfish rod bent over tryin to horse him up. The funny thing is, is that my bait was a nice size live bream cast near the bank hoping for a flathead. He had the head half of a bream on the hook cast directly in front of him. I thought he would catch a blue while I would get the Flathead. He got the Flat. I got nothing. How little we know at times... :)

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
awesome!...i got to get down there soon. was thinking this weekend but RB tournament is Sat..I havent been down there at all this year except to shad fish with Aki. ...Flats defiantly fight way harder than blues. Flatties are mean on the end of a line. awesome work

Reactions: roostertail24
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.