NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mom is looking at moving from Florida to NC and would like waterfront property with a view. The house isn't that important, but the location is. She mentioned she'd be happy with a small fishing cabin if the location was good and she had a nice view of the water. I've looked through a couple previous threads I found, linked below, and the locations suggested there have been her starting point looking at zillow.com and speaking with a Realtor. She would like a small town location close enough to the necessities like a hospital and a vet for her dog. She is concerned about tidal flow and flooding, not sure how often this happens but one realtor mentioned 'high water' to her so I thought I'd put it out there for those of you who may have experience with waterfront properties. Taxes and required insurance coverage would also be useful information if you know about that as well. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/69093-Considering-a-move
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/72048-You-can-live-anywhere-in-NC-where-do-you-live

Interesting thing: The first place she found and asked me to look at for her, is directly across the Bay River from the River's Edge Family Campground where we are having the M&G in September. I immediately told her to buy it:D but the search continues, go figure.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
We have a beautiful waterfront property in Oriental for sale. It was my in-laws home. They both passed away and we finished many renovations and updates earlier this year. It sits on two lots within the Oriental "village" with a huge amount of dock space and excellent creek access to sailing/boating/fishing waters of the Neuse and Pamlico. It is a large home with lots of storage space. :) Let me know if you'd like to see it and I'll connect you with Larry Gwaltney at Century 21 in Oriental. You can see some photos here:

http://www.century21.com/property/114-pineview-drive-oriental-nc-28571-C2123368285

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Gonna depend a lot of how deep her pockets are. Also she needs to consider any medical and comfort needs for her future. Elevated homes are not aging friendly, Drs need to be available, shopping etc. You can still find reasonably priced property around NC but the low price means being farther away from the conveniences and possible medical care.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Zillow = complete unreliable crap. Now that that is out of the way, most of the information about taxes and flood maps are public information (free), you just have a to dig a little. Insurance, especially flood east of I95, will be your biggest issue. I suggest picking an area of interest, then find a reputable Realtor or two who will know the local area to begin shopping.

For flood map info look at FEMA and search by address. Tax info can be found by address search in the respective county tax department.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
There are companies in the area installing residential lifts for "beach houses". Basically an outdoor elevator. I doubt they're cheap, but obviously more affordable than the standard elevator. They weren't very prevalent until Irene, but after the flooding that that storm brought many people either rebuilt on stilts, or had their existing homes raised.
After seeing what Irene did to the homes in that area I wouldn't think about purchasing or building a home on ground level, even on what might be considered "high ground".

Reactions: quest4reds

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Randy, That's a really nice looking house you got there in Oriental. Wish I had the funds lying around somewhere. If you are interested in any trades involving an assortment of lightly and heavily used kayaks, just say the word.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have a beautiful waterfront property in Oriental for sale. It was my in-laws home. They both passed away and we finished many renovations and updates earlier this year. It sits on two lots within the Oriental "village" with a huge amount of dock space and excellent creek access to sailing/boating/fishing waters of the Neuse and Pamlico. It is a large home with lots of storage space. :) Let me know if you'd like to see it and I'll connect you with Larry Gwaltney at Century 21 in Oriental. You can see some photos here:

http://www.century21.com/property/114-pineview-drive-oriental-nc-28571-C2123368285
Thanks NCangler. House is indeed beautiful, and in a great location, but I think just a little above her price range.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Randy, That's a really nice looking house you got there in Oriental. Wish I had the funds lying around somewhere. If you are interested in any trades involving an assortment of lightly and heavily used kayaks, just say the word.
He probably has 1/2 of funds needed in yaks. Think he has more yaks than any yak dealer. I heard Cary was gonna make him clean it up as all that plastic is considered hazardous materials.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I was just about to post this same question me and the wife are thinking about buying a trailer at the coast somewhere and I was wondering where everyone would choose to live for great fishing and close to the beach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.