NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled the trigger on a brand new Jackson Cuda 14. Love that sucker, handles nice. Question: does anyone here use the scupper plugs on their cuda? Mine didn't come with them and I don't mind them being out because it self-bails-but noticed in choppy conditions in the ICW that water tends to come up through the holes. Very stable, quick for its size.

No pics worth taking during my maiden voyage to my reg fishing grounds behind Topsail. Saw plenty of shrimp in the creeks, but didn't see feeding on top. Threw a spook jr, had 2 blow ups, no hook-ups. Did manage 2 short flounder on egret vudu shrimp, natural.

The kayak performs well, I especially like the 2 RAM tube holders behind the seat, and the middle storage seems to be legitimate in terms of keeping stuff dry. Tracks well, is stable and quick-no complaints here!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Been thinking about getting one myself but wondering how it is paddling in the howling South wind that pops up in the afternoons now? Have enough trouble paddling my 12.5 pescador against it, but I am getting decrepit in my old age:).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Scupper plugs are nice to have for certain situations. Biggest one is for colder days and winter obviously, also when they are not in as you said with some chop water will push through and that makes a slapping noise, which in certain situations can spook fish. I love taking my plugs out in the summer when its 85 degrees plus. Also, if you flip with scuppers in, most likely your gonna have to yank them out to bail the water out. Them Cudas are a awesome kayak, i have a wilderness ride 135 and they weight about the same around 80-90 pounds. Both very stable and comfortable.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scupper plugs are nice to have for certain situations. Biggest one is for colder days and winter obviously, also when they are not in as you said with some chop water will push through and that makes a slapping noise, which in certain situations can spook fish. I love taking my plugs out in the summer when its 85 degrees plus. Also, if you flip with scuppers in, most likely your gonna have to yank them out to bail the water out. Them Cudas are a awesome kayak, i have a wilderness ride 135 and they weight about the same around 80-90 pounds. Both very stable and comfortable.
Turned out they left out the "thermapad" lumbar back support so I went and picked that up. Very comfy, need the scuppers though for cooler water for sure.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Do not use those ram mount rodholders...U will lose your Rod when a big fish strikes...install flush mounts...
I got a Ram mount rod holder and was super excited about it, loved the way you could angle it in all directions with ease.....until I almost lost a rod when a fish hit. Was actually saved by a stakeout pole. You can see me almost lose a rod in this video at around the 2:15 mark. Been scared to use it since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPgi7VrfbY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.