NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went up to ohio to help my dad on a few large projects that he couldn't do alone. So it was not a fishing trip but I did get some lure slinging time in anyhow.

We went up to West branch and I started bank fishing in the brown murky water.. I threw everything I had for most of the evening with nothing. I switched to a 5 in Money minnow in perl white and started my fan and reeling in slow, about 6 ft out BAM! I thought I hooked into the biggest bass on the planet... after listing to drag scream for a bit I was able to turn his head at this point he showed himself... NORTHERN PIKE!!! Of course my blood is pumping at this point and the fight was on, every time he got close to shore he ran. I eventually got him on shore and JUST WOW what a huge fish! Biggest I've ever caught!! It turned out to be 38 1/2 in fish, I did not have a scale best guess.. 20lbs?

Second catch of the day was while I was throwing my cast net near some reeds for bait. I threw it out, let it fall and started pulling it in... IT PULLED BACK! Sure enough another Norther Pike!! It made a pretty good mess out of my cast net and fought like crazy on the bank while trying to pick it up.. Anyhow it ended up being 36 in but not nearly as HUGE as the first one... What a great day!!!

PS; my dad was trying to operate my Nikon D7000 so we didn't get any pictures of the tape next to the first fish... Sorry

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I fished West Branch several times within the last couple years. The dude I was with caught a northern while we were there. It had much more patterning though.....

Sure that's not a musky? Here's the one he caught...

I've never caught either so I may be overstepping my boundaries here....awesome fish!

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Looks like Northerns. I'm from Toledo; Where is West Branch? Pike, muskie, red fin, chain. Doesn't matter. They are all fun to catch. The bigger, the better and it looks like you got the better end.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Musky = darker spots on light background
Northern pike = lighter spots on dark background
Either way, great job. I have only caught one muskie in my life, smallie fishing at the New. He was just about eight pounds, but was fun to catch, especially on ten pound mono.
Never caught a northern.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Nice job...Both are Muski...which makes it that much Kooler.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks more Musky then Northern. gonna say bout 10-12lbs. Ive a 41'' northern on the wall that went 15lbs an its alot fatter then whats pictured

·
Registered
230 Posts
Either way, great catch. My uncle Steve had a 40+ musky on his dinning room wall. I'm told as a baby if I was fussing, they'd put my play pen in there and I would immediately quiet down and just stare at that fish for hours.

O H to all the Buckeyes out there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Either way, great catch. My uncle Steve had a 40+ musky on his dinning room wall. I'm told as a baby if I was fussing, they'd put my play pen in there and I would immediately quiet down and just stare at that fish for hours.

O H to all the Buckeyes out there!
I O Go Bucks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts