NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys heres the deal. Im attending an auction tommorow to try and purchase a VW Bug for y daughter. She has always wanted a bug and we found one that is a bank auction that we think we may be able to get for her budget. However, I need a plan B. She needs a vehicle and we would like to have her something to drive by end of month.

She has 1500 bux to spend and realy wants a VW Bug but as long as it looks ok and runs Im calling that my plan B.

Ive got the feelers out on craigslist and what not but I would trust buying from someone on here so much more.

So anyone got a decent ride for sale?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I hope you mean a real air cooled VW bug not the newer ones. I also hope she realizes they have no ac and are cold as ^%$* to drive in winter. Great dependable little cars but watch for floorpan rust, battery mount under the floor rust and wiring issues. They can look great outside and have plywood hiding where the floors used to be so buyer beware. The newer water cooled beetles are junk until after about 2004 with head gasket and wiring issues a bad auto trannies. Not much better after. I'm not impressed with anything from VW since the 80's. Not if you are looking for a car you can put 200k on. \
Otherwise in her price range think toyota camry, honda "anything", stay away from cheap hyundais, nissans and most anything american unless its a classic easy to fix and rear wheel drive. I just sold my good little aerostar van for $1450 but might not be her style anyway.. If she can drive a standard shift thats usually the best bet in a cheap car, clutches cost alot less than an auto trans and are more noticable if they arent right during a test drive ,and most cheap automatics are going to have issues soon.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I mostly agree with Sundrop except in that price range and since she was already looking small, I would put Corolla above Camry just because you may find less miles and/or better condition at that price point. Honda Civics and Accords I would rank about even with the Toyotas with the same caveat about likely finding the Civics in better shape at that price.

G

·
I agree with drum runner, something a bit bigger, safer. I sold a guy a fairly nice Buick a couple years ago, his daughter said it looked like an old persons car, but the safety factor trumped her 'wants'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts