NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to myrtle beach this week and am planning in doing a little surf/pier fishing! I am tired of catching little sharks and small croakers/spots! How do I target the blues or Spanish or some bigger fish! What are some preferences on pier fishing down there this time of year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Go to Topsail Island. Seriously, Myrtle Beach would be way down my list of great places to pier and surf fish at. You might want to ask on the Myrtle Beach forum on PierandSurf.com

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I am guessing other concerns made MB the destination. I would find the closest pier and go walk it (most piers will let you walk out with no gear to look for free) the afternoon before. Look at the board and see what is being caught, walk out and see what people are using and catching. I understand your frustration, but I agree with SH; it's not a great place to fish. I would be content to wet a line and catch a few of whatever they are getting down there right now.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Isn't it bike week at MB this week? I wouldn't want to be within 50 miles of that place.
Yep, it is.

Which may, of course, be the reason our original poster is going there.

Reactions: ecufisherman

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
When I think of surf fishing or saltwater fishing in general, Myrtle Beach is the last place I would think of.
I kinda get a kick out of men who allow their wives to drag them by the ear down to Myrtle Beach instead of somewhere like the banks. Somewhere a man could have some enjoyment....Fishing.

But I think that is the whole point. To keep them locked in her pocketbook.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
DR - Bitter much? :D

You sound like David Crabtree. He was on a morning radio show and they were discussing a hypothetical health question - "Would you be willing to give up one finger if you were guaranteed to never get cancer?". His answer - "Absolutely! Especially if it can be the fourth finger on my left hand."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just down here for a beach trip from the school year being over! It would be nice to get a line wet and catch a few fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
I lived in MB 5 yrs and agree the fishing sucks. That said, go to MB state park and fish. They have pier and nice beach. They dredge every few years and throw the sand up to the beach, so no plants live there, no baitfish and rarely bigger fish. Try 2 rig bottoms and use the freshest shrimp at your home store and bring it down. DO NOT USE LOCAL BAIT from pier or baitshop--this time of year it is last years....You will catch mullet, whiting, pinfish, skate,maybe a flounder. Just have fun and know I wish I were there...lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I grew up there. Your best shot this time of year is to fish the inlet mouths north or south for redfish and flounder. The jetties at Huntington Beach State Park are a long hike but worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
DR - Bitter much? :D

You sound like David Crabtree. He was on a morning radio show and they were discussing a hypothetical health question - "Would you be willing to give up one finger if you were guaranteed to never get cancer?". His answer - "Absolutely! Especially if it can be the fourth finger on my left hand."
Opti, the only thing Myrtle Beach is good for is this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhV2KjzwNJ0 my stumpy legged brother wished he had my long legs. Look at that peacock strut!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I heard a comedian from Australia talking about visiting Myrtle Beach and being offered shagging lessons.
"She said I didn't need a partner; I said 'Yes, Oi do!'" ... :D Pretty funny stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The north and south ends of the grand strand have plenty of great fishing opportunities. I've heard good reports from Pawleys, Murrells, Cherry Grove and Little River on flounder, redfish and trout.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts