NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 15 foot 1974 "Olympia" fiberglass trihull boat made by a company called Starline Fiberglass Corp out of Gaffney SC. Has anyone else heard of this kind of boat? I've googled the model name (Olympia) and the company name (Starline Fiberglass Corp) and got nothing in return. Just curious about what happened to the company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 15 foot 1974 "Olympia" fiberglass trihull boat made by a company called Starline Fiberglass Corp out of Gaffney SC. Has anyone else heard of this kind of boat? I've googled the model name (Olympia) and the company name (Starline Fiberglass Corp) and got nothing in return. Just curious about what happened to the company.
That boat was built by my father in law, James McCraw of Gaffney. He had a one man boat factory and he built small fishing boats12', bass boats 14' and the one you described was a 17' Tri-hull, walk thru windshield with bow seating and back to back seating in the main cabin. Powered by a mercruiser inboard/outdrive except for just a couple adapted for outboards.
The US coast guard boat manufacturer inspector, who covered all manufacturers on the east cost, bought one of my Father in Laws boats because he said it was the strongest, best built boat made on the East Coast. Most boat builders only meet the required specifications but my Father in Laws specifications were exceeding them.
He would make a 17' boat about every 2-3 weeks depending on if the fish were biting. He could make a bass boat in a week and the smallest fishing boat in 3 days.
I owned the last one of the 17' that he made. A red hull with white top deck 120hp model.
He had a heart attack and died and I later sold the business.
Terry Harris Gaffney

·
Registered
2 Posts
You had the bass boat.

I noticed in a later quote that you have the bass boat. I remember that it had an unusual characteristic of throwing up a rooster tail if you got up to planing speed in it. He sold those boats through several boat dealers in NC and SC.
My father in Law was a perfectionist. When he built a boat it was there for the duration. I remember that he told me that his boats would be around long after he was gone. He was right obviously.

That boat was built by my father in law, James McCraw of Gaffney. He had a one man boat factory and he built small fishing boats12', bass boats 14' and the one you described was a 17' Tri-hull, walk thru windshield with bow seating and back to back seating in the main cabin. Powered by a mercruiser inboard/outdrive except for just a couple adapted for outboards.
The US coast guard boat manufacturer inspector, who covered all manufacturers on the east cost, bought one of my Father in Laws boats because he said it was the strongest, best built boat made on the East Coast. Most boat builders only meet the required specifications but my Father in Laws specifications were exceeding them.
He would make a 17' boat about every 2-3 weeks depending on if the fish were biting. He could make a bass boat in a week and the smallest fishing boat in 3 days.
I owned the last one of the 17' that he made. A red hull with white top deck 120hp model.
Terry Harris Gaffney

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
How awesome is that, that you can post a question on this board and find someone personally connected to it??
That is cool and wild all at the same time. Any pics of these boats? Now that I know the story I want to see them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of buying the Bass Boat and I have found nothing about the boat. I like the design and would like the specs if at all possible. It would like owning part of the History here in Gaffney. Thanks Joe Makin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Terry Harris Gaffney
What year did he stop building boats ,asking because i have a 1982 olympia fiberglass boat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts