NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to spend a week in Nags Head, starting Saturday, August 4. I will be by myself as my family can't go...........shucks! Plan on fishing the sound. Anybody know how the fishing is up there right now? Also, if anyone wants to join me any day during that week...let me know.:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I hope that you have tight lines the whole time Glenn and please be careful!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
In the sound the trout, spot and croakers are biting in the early morning according to TW's tackle. The ocean temp in KDH is about 76. You can catch the same in the ocean plus spanish and blues. You might luck up on a cobia in the sound if you fish the deeper holes. The trout action has been at the bridges. That is where most people fish. If you could catch some 4" spots, croakers, pinfish, pig fish, etc I would go down to Mann's Harbor Little bridge or look for some deeper water on the South side of the island with them. Pogies and large finger mullet would be good also if you have a net. You could also troll around the bridges with a heavy white or chartreuse and white bucktail. Personally I don't expect to see any fish pictures but who knows.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Pretty much that way according to Tw's tackle reports. Early mornings, no mention of any noteworthy catches....Knowing that you will want to be sailing .....I'm guessing you might as well plan on seeing the sights on the sound. There usually isn't much wind at daybreak. Good for fishing but bad for getting there. But like I said who knows. You can't catch'em if you don't put the time in and perfect days don't always beat the ones that weren't supposed to be good. A shift in the wind can make big changes there. More so than any other place I can think of offhand.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
In general August is a hard month for fishing most anywhere but offshore. Hit or miss.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've never had a bad trip to the outerbanks even when on the 4th of July. Not even the time my water pump went out on Sun. morning and I had to be back the next day. I ended up changing on the side of the rd a few miles below Whalebone Junction but overall a good day and an even better trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.