NC Angler Forums banner

nags head

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sinker man 
#1 ·
need some help for this weekend. how is the surf fishing at the nag? i will be at nags and want to know if i should bring a rod? i will be there most all day saturday.. location to try would be great.. kinds of baits would be good also..

zooker

#3 ·
This time of year Oregon Inlet is usually a good place to think about. Lots of fish and baitfish leaving the sound thru the inlets. Full moon tonight so I'm assuming the fish will be feeding at night as well as during the day. Green Channel on the Southwest side of Oregon Inlet bridge is a pretty well known hotspot this time of year. I've got some pretty good fishing report sights that you can keep a check on. I'll have to look up their url's back in a couple...

#6 ·
well i may bring a rod or two. i will be bringing a lil gal she wants to see a sunrise over the ocean.:D this cool weather we will be getting will make most the bikini's disappear for sure.:( it is just as well as i wont get in trouble for err "enjoying the view" as it were..

what kind of bait guys?? shrimp? blood worms??frozen mullet??

zooker

#8 ·
I'm just guessing but I'd try to find some fresh shrimp in Wanachese or Manteo. The spots, sea mullet, pompano, trout, flounder, puppy drum and blues all like it but the key is to get the freshest you can find. Live finger mullet will also work well on blues, flounder, trout and puppy drum. C rig them on a #2 kahle hook with a 30lb mono leader. 2/0 circle hooks work good too.... but you can't try to set the hook or you will lose them. Blood worms will mainly get you whiting and spots. Fresh mullet will mainly get blues and puppy drum. Sand fleas will get mostly pompano and sea mullet and some puppy drum.
Take you a cooler and some ice. A couple of pvc rod holders and a cast net would be real handy. I almost always carry a 5 gallon bucket with a castnet in it and usually put the rod holders in it if I'm walking. Knife for cutting bait, stringer, a few rigs in individual ziplock bags and a couple of spoons rigged on 30lb mono leaders. A couple of xtra ziplocks for your bait and a 1 gallon ziplock to keep it all together and you are highly portable.
Leave the cooler in the car unless you think you'll need refreshments. The water temp should be cool enough to keep them in a hole in the sand by a rod holder. Tie stringer around rod holder. You can dig a hole with your hands if needed. If it has to be a big hole.... don't fuss:p

PS: take a lid for the bucket and you have something to sit on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.