NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed some nail flies and after checking out how to make em:

NC Angler Fishing - Fly Ties

My biggest problem was where to get some bit fake nails. I bought some last year at the Dollar Store but they were real small....kiddie size...:D and I wanted bigger. So I went to my local "Nail Beauty Shop". I told em what I wanted an showed them what I was doing with it...the lady GAVE me 2 packs of 2 different sizes...50 nails to a pack. She said "Don't forget me when you catch some fish". You can bet I'll be there with her some fish on multiple trips...its just the way she did ...so she has paid it forward now time for me to share my catch...:cool:

I gathered up my resources and started to churn and grind on the vise. I only have 1 color of fingernail polish but will fix that here soon an some glitter to match. I fixed the flies with assorted colors on the hook and matching colors for the tail areas....

Check em out...I have already field tested em in my local test pond and they work great. These make excellent shad
spoons and also great for bass fishing...or anything that loves a minnow. They remind me of a Lazy Ike coming thru the water.

Just IGNORE the Rebel plug at the top..just a ruse to throw the dogs off the track..:)

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
When I read the title, I had a totally different image in my head about the "nail"!:p Nothing bad...I was just thinking of the hammering kind...:rolleyes:

Nice flies! they look like they will have some nice action.

·
Registered
246 Posts
oooh lol sweet... these looks like the mini size stingrays or something.

What have you caught on them ?

ps: the lady at beauty supply might want to go fishin with you too ;) ask her out hehe

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I just tried one of my nail flies out a couple of days ago. Wasn't getting the flutter I wanted, but it worked OK. I was wondering if the nail fly was used alone (not in tandem with another fly), if it should have a little added weight.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use it in tandem with a shad fly up about 12 inches above the nail fly...:)

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Scott, I need to start doing that also. I watched Allen catch a couple of shad doing that very thing. The shad did hit Allen's nail fly, using that method.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Make sure your tippet is around 7# test and you tie the nail fly on with a loop in the line to allow the nail fly to swing freely. That will give our nail fly the wobble action you're looking for. If you don't have the loop & you are using a havy tippet..it won't swim right. Hoe that helps you.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Scott, thanks a lot for the info on the Rapala knot. Allen taught me a knot, very similar to that one. I think I have been making too many wraps before bringing it back through the overhand knot loop. I'll give this a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts