NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
if I may be so bold. Is it just me or does anyone else fall back on that handful of lures that always work. one of the happiest days of my life was when I cleaned out my chest pack I carry for smallies to about 6 different lure types. It fits into 2 little plano tackle boxes. were talking about 25 lures that have rarely let me down. as to the question about store brand, my son has 3 ncarp certificates for 3 species of bass that he has caught with the most awful purple and white chugger type thing he bought in the dollar bin at bass pro. I like to remind him he is adopted:p

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Name Brands - catching anglers?

As a rookie, let me admit to being quite confused in this department. I've read the part about lures catching anglers many places. In my case, though, this has made me quite gun-shy. I've bought very little. I feel like I need to bring a mentor along to point out those 25 instances of 6 types, to cite your example, that are really all I need.

I've bought one lure from a very specific recommendation, a couple that resembled either that one or the one I caught the catfish on (which came from my kid's cheapo kit), and some plastic minnows that were on sale -- I figured I couldn't lose but $3.

Lefty

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
there is nothing wrong with going to Wally-World and buying a few packages of the cheap spinner baits, minnows and worms. I tend to catch as many bass, bream , and crappie on the 1-2 dollar baits as the 5-10 dollar ones and if you catch up on something you dont feel like you threw a fiver away:rolleyes: if I spend any money it is usually on flies because i havent mastered tying a lot of different types yet and I usually have to order materials for flies.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Lefty - bait&fly's advice is good! However don't be afraid to try new stuff. Just go slow and see what works for you.

Here's an example - I've been fishing all my life but just started King Mackerel fishing last year. I bought a variety of rigs based on recommendations from other fisherman and web sites. But I only bought a small sample, I tried them out and decided what I liked and what seemed to work for me. In the off season I made a few hundred of the ones I liked for a fraction of the cost of store bought ones. I'm sure I'll fine tune my rigs/lures this year (read: buy some new ones) but I have a good solid base at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Not sure

Not sure what fishes the best. I know that a lot of times I'm more liable to buy name brand due to them being all over and knowing the quality of the company. This being said if I find some local stuff that works I fish it till it falls apart.

·
Registered
205 Posts
sorry guys but I tend to be a label ****** I don't mind spending the 5.00 on a titanium spinnerbait or a rapala, I also don't mind wading through a hole to retrieve it when it gets hung up.:D I very rarely will just break an expensive lure off. Even down east I'll brave a cottonmouth or two to get my lure back. He can buy his own lures.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
good one

You are right. He wants to catch em with it he can buy it himself.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
To me it doesn't matter whose name is on it but what does matter is will it consistently produce, is it easy to use, will it hold up and is it hard on the fish. I know a guy who gets $20.00 for a Mann's Stretch 20 with his paint job on it and a few of the local tackle shops even carry plugs he has repainted at the tune of $20 each. Personally I'd just as soon continue to look thru the flea market tackle boxes for lures with teeth marks, deep hook gouges and other evidence of superior fish attracting qualities. That way I can get 10 proven winners for the price of one of his. Of course I'm not fishing for dollars but the point is some lures tend to be hard to produce with consistency. I think action has more to do with this phenomanon than paint. Another Local gets $8.00 each for a flatsided crankbait that works well consistantly. Believe it or not, it is called a Gulp. He has been making them for years and the waiting list is several months. Another local in my area that has been inthe lure making business for years concentrates on jigging spoons but augments his income by repackaging hooks beads and other items plus tying bucktail on trebles. Some brothers I have known for most of my life operated Suddeth baits as a sideline til they retired and sold out to Blademaster Lures who took their line national thru Henry's Tackle. None of the ones I know have gotten rich for their efforts but they all made a decent income from something they liked doing. None of them hired out the work but most encouraged family members to help. I can put you in touch with any of these guy's if you would like to ask them how they overcame some of their hurdles. AL

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
How's this for teeth marks?

Anything that imitates squid, flyin fish, or creates flash and vibration/noise is what I look for. I find that name brands (some, not all), use higher quality components.. I.e. swivels, hooks, and general construction (wire thru v.s. screwed in hook attachments...).

I'll admit, I got sucked into the freshwater lure thing... but I have absolutely no clue about how to fish fresh water... Figured there if Bill Dance uses it,,, must work :rolleyes: Little pickier about my saltwater stuff though, but all that money I wasted on fresh water tackle... ugh.... I simply find worms and minnows work better for me.

To echo others above, sometimes you just have to try things that the majority isnt using. Yeah, it's a chance it will work or wont work... but dont buy 15 of them, start with one and actually fish it. If the lure dont produce, try something else. IS name brand worth it.. my opinion is yes if you know what your buying. Example, Yozuri's hold up very good over time with alot of use. Soft baits in my opinion are expendable, and again to piggy back on what's been mentioned above, natural baits still catch fish... sometimes we just dont want to spend the time to care for them or rig them.. and I'm guilty of it too.

bait's I feel confident with and purchase regulary when I need/want one are:
Yozuri lures
Carolina Lures
Storm Lures
C&H Lures
Calcutta
Rapala
Williamson
Braid

Those are all name brand stuff, but for me at least, they work and catch fish and hold up fish after fish. I usually never pass up local made lures especially if traveling around, cause if the locals say to use the "Destin Doll".. you better have 3 different color ones if your fishin that area... and that's knowledge you cant get off the shelf so to speak.

How's this for teeth marks?

(I'd say these work pretty good.... :D )

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I agree with Dave about sticking with baits that have the higher quality components. I think it depends on which name brands that you compare the local brands to. If the local brand is well made with good compononets I'm sure it will catch more fish than some of the bargain name brands. I've picked up some baits from Wal-mart that looked very realistic and had flashy color at a great price, only to get to the water and have them turn on their side with a good crank of the reel. I've spent hours trying to tune these baits to run properly. On the other hand, every Yozuri Bait that I've ever purchased has ran straight at 6 knots straight out of box. I'll save my money for the higher quality baits because when I buy a bait I don't want to spend alot of time trying to make it work right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.