NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The state of North Carolina stocked over 41000 Kokanee Salmon in Nantahala Lake approximately two years ago. They will stock for the second time this April. Some of the fish from the first stocking may be large enough to catch but not large enough to spawn. I am going to guess six to ten inches. The biologist want the spines of any salmon caught. Please get on the lake. A red/chrome dodger and 1 1/2” red hoochie trolled at 1.5 mph 25 to 50 feet down works great for early season fish.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've been told it was best to troll for them with electric power. They're very noise sensitive. I might start with red or pink hoochies but if they don't work, I'd try any other colors I have. All the videos I've watched emphasize that they're back and forth about what colors they'll hit. You use white corn on the hoochies but most folks treat the corn with all sorts of stuff that can turn it to another color. Most of these scents have fish oils in them. The corn often looks blue, green, or red.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been told it was best to troll for them with electric power. They're very noise sensitive. I might start with red or pink hoochies but if they don't work, I'd try any other colors I have. All the videos I've watched emphasize that they're back and forth about what colors they'll hit. You use white corn on the hoochies but most folks treat the corn with all sorts of stuff that can turn it to another color. Most of these scents have fish oils in them. The corn often looks blue, green, or red.
When I

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I first started fishing for Kokanee I was running a 90hp two stroke outboard. I still caught them. I recommend red colors because it is the effective. Shoe peg corn works fine but I started using Gulp maggots in natural, red & pink. Pro Cure Kokanee gel for additional sent. I am promoting this to aid in the research for state biologist and hoping people will get on the lake and fish. 10 years of fishing the lake when the population of salmon was strong, three of those years as a charter boat and catching the state record gives the the experience to make suggestions.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I only fished Nantahala for the Salmon once. I thought I had one but it turned out to be a Rainbow. Then I thought I had one again and it turned out to be a Perch. I hooked a third fish and it turned out to be a Smallmouth. Then came the attack of pleasure boaters and I gave up.

I have or had some of the Natural Gulp Maggots. I caught one of the fish on them. I don't remember which one. I didn't know they came in colors.

It was Ron, from this forum, that suggested using the electric motor. He said the lake was so small that most of the Salmon would be in one area. If you spooked 'em, there wasn't gonna be fresh fish elsewhere like some bigger lakes might have. Ron gave me lots of suggestions but he's deceased now.

I'm listening. I'd like to return to Nantahala someday....before I'm deceased. I'm getting old.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My wife and I trolled Lake Berryessa in Ca. a lot for Kokanee, fat 20”ers.
We tested every scent known to man, including hot sauce, windex and gas/oil bilge water...
They all caught fish on our best day ever.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The state of North Carolina stocked over 41000 Kokanee Salmon in Nantahala Lake approximately two years ago. They will stock for the second time this April. Some of the fish from the first stocking may be large enough to catch but not large enough to spawn. I am going to guess six to ten inches. The biologist want the spines of any salmon caught. Please get on the lake. A red/chrome dodger and 1 1/2” red hoochie trolled at 1.5 mph 25 to 50 feet down works great for early se
The state of North Carolina stocked over 41000 Kokanee Salmon in Nantahala Lake approximately two years ago. They will stock for the second time this April. Some of the fish from the first stocking may be large enough to catch but not large enough to spawn. I am going to guess six to ten inches. The biologist want the spines of any salmon caught. Please get on the lake. A red/chrome dodger and 1 1/2” red hoochie trolled at 1.5 mph 25 to 50 feet down works great for early season fish.
That is great news, finally our wildlife guys are doing not studying. Went just once couple of years ago on july 4th and caught 3 at 100 feet on hoochies and green maggots. They go crazy when hooked and taste wonderful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts