NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been fly-fishing the river after the evening draw down and boaters have subsided. It's been fun, lots of fish rising to bugs around 7pm till 8 ish. We got lucky the first day throwing larger hopper patterns, they didn't even have to be floating to get strikes. The old standard "Adams fly" in a medium size has put a few fish in the net. Seen some small sulfur flys hatching but really couldn't pin down what they were taking on the surface for sure. Thats a great river to teach and learn flyfishing, when it's low like that. We only caught browns and beautiful wild looking bows the last two trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
The Nantahala ,including the bypass section and the true "tailwater" which is where the rafting is, has some nice wild rainbows.

Nice fish, thanks for the report

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fish_friend, We see a lot of differentiation with the coloring of the wild bows in western NC. (especially in that river) The fish with the really red side and spots with distance in-between, does resemble fish I've caught out west, but is most likely just a wild nc bow in some strange phase of its life..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not that far they don't due to Big Wesser falls. You should look into a fly called a Cinnamon Caddis. Size 16 but most likely 18. I lived down there for several several years and used to fish it all the time. Miss that place sometimes. If it werent for crappy low paying jobs I would move back.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not that far they don't due to Big Wesser falls. You should look into a fly called a Cinnamon Caddis. Size 16 but most likely 18. I lived down there for several several years and used to fish it all the time. Miss that place sometimes. If it werent for crappy low paying jobs I would move back.
I would have thought that the state record brown trout might of come up from Fontana. Wesser Falls does not seem that bad when they are not generating, especially in the summer when the water is low. Great place to fish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That state record fish was raised. It was held between the two fences at the generation station and fed pellets for a long time. At least that is what all the local lore is. That being said, I have seen and have caught several 20+ inch fish out of that river.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts