NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an ex tournament bass fisherman looking at kayaks. Kinda like the native slayer any reviews or other boat recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Your size, your comfort level, and the type of fishing you wish to do are all important factors, as well as how you plan to transport the kayak.

I've got a NuCanoe Frontier. Incredible stability, lots of room. You fish and paddle from a jon boat seat, and normal people can stand and fish from it without problems, it tracks very well, can be used solo or tandem, and is very easy to add accessories with a long yakattack style track on both sides. The downsides are that it's heavy (about 90 pounds with seat, 72 lbs without seat), so it's hard to car top, and it's on the slow side (about the same as the Slayer, perhaps a little slower... I get 4.3 MPH on my GPS with normal effort and questionable technique, but I've had it over 6 MPH in sprints). BUT.... I bought it because of my size.... I'm a giant, and it's one of the few kayaks that will support me properly.

One bonus is that it's an easier transition to the NuCanoe from a bass boat.... Similar kinds of seats, standing whenever you wish, etc. Not always easy in most fishing kayaks.

One disadvantage is that kayak "purists" look down on it for being too wide and stable and they presume it doesn't paddle well without ever trying it.

The Slayer may be a great kayak for you. But the NuCanoe is a perfect one for me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Look at the moken 12.5, best of all worlds. Speed, stable, can stand, and still a good length for my rivers.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Love my slayer 14.5 but best thing to do is gather a list of the ones you like and try and demo them. Worst thing in the world of kayak fishing is getting one you despise after a few trips.

I've been there hated every minute of it but it did open my eyes and ready myself for something better.
Jackson, Native, Feelfree, and the new old town predator all have the best and most comfortable seats on the market give them a look and see if you can get a demo on the ones you like

·
Registered
7,911 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
If you want to come to Hickory and fish out of mine sometime your more than welcome. I have a NuCanoe 12 and a 14.5 Slayer, I enjoy both, the Slayer is a great still water boat, fast and stable.

Or Outdoor Supply Company in Hickory will take several boats to the water at a time to let you demo them.

Darrell

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks dbeam. Funny I was actually looking at the nucanoe as well and the jk Cuda. Might take you up on that? Had a big mayfly hatch on lake Norman last night. The fish should be crushing a buzz bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have you paddled one?

I would at least get in one and see how it feels to you. It helps if you can find a demo day at one of the shops or hook up with one of the guys here or at the NCKFA site and see if someone will let you try theirs out for a bit one day.

Everyone likes boats for different reasons. What I like about my Ultimate or Amigo someone else probably won't. It is all about personal feel and comfort. I have yet to paddle a Slayer but I have known a lot of folks who have and they all love the stability but they also are a little heavy. Some got rid of them for one reason or another and some are still paddling them and loving it.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
I can't imagine that you would not like it. A long as your not planning on running lots of moving water, MasterBlaster does that from his Slayer and does a great job of it. Call Outdoor Supply Company in Hickory and set-up a demo for both boats they will be happy to help you out and they are only a couple of miles from the water.

If your not in a hurry, and want to work out a time to fish with me and try out the 14.5 Slayer and then nucanoe send me PM

Darrell

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Slayer 12. I bought it because I like the two position seat and it has a nice flat floor for standing. It doesn't come standard with a hatch cover, so you either have to buy one for $100 or get a dry bag. Personally I like things a bit more open anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you paddled one?

I would at least get in one and see how it feels to you. It helps if you can find a demo day at one of the shops or hook up with one of the guys here or at the NCKFA site and see if someone will let you try theirs out for a bit one day.

Everyone likes boats for different reasons. What I like about my Ultimate or Amigo someone else probably won't. It is all about personal feel and comfort. I have yet to paddle a Slayer but I have known a lot of folks who have and they all love the stability but they also are a little heavy. Some got rid of them for one reason or another and some are still paddling them and loving it.
Wookie,
I've been checking out the Amigo. How are you liking it? I am really interested in a SUP/yak hybrid-or maybe a Slayer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Starting to lean towards the jackson cuda. Great looking boat maybe not as stable but I like the storage. Also has a killer seat!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts