NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking at getting a new boat that is easier to be paddled solo. I currently fish out of an Old Town Camper 15 and while its great with plenty of room and I can stand up and fish I am looking for something a little smaller. Does any body have any experience with the Ultimate 12 Fx or the Solo Sportsman. Pros and cons to both or which one you all would recommend?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey Wormy,

I cant speak for the Sportsman but I do have 3 of the Native Ultimate 12FX. My wife and I got them due to their comfort and weight for transport. 3rd 1 is for a guest or spare for now. The ultimate FX is very comfortable and works great for about everything. It tracks pretty well, seat is great and has gear track for most anything. Very stable to stand and fish, seat adjust high and low as well as fore and aft. A great all around boat.

A con for me is that it is a sit in, so a little water gets inside if paddle drips or splashing happens but never enough to cause issues. Although I did take it down the new river in VA when the water was too high and hit a very fast long set of class 2 rapids. I chose the incorrect route and swamped the yak. Once full of water it flips over but floats without issue. Got it to the bank, dumped it and kept on trucking. A manual pump is handy if too much water gets inside.

With all that being said I do have a Jackson Coosa HD, and wilderness atak 120 to compare to. None are perfect for all conditions but the Ultimate FX is great all around.
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sit-on-top kayak is safer, easier to paddle solo, easier to clean and if it has a hatch you can store all your gear inside when you transport it.
There are a lot of great fishing kayaks. The best I've found for me is the Crescent Lite Tackle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ive been looking hard at the Lite Tackle also... may have to pick one up and add to the fleet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts